Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: The definite 308win bullet choice thread.

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Monos normally need a higher starting speed to ensure proper tip expansion at longer range. Due to that I use a 150TSX in my 22 inch barrel 30-06. To make sure that speed is still sufficient in the 308 I will suggest using the 130TTSX or its equivalent in other makes.
    At huntex last year, one of the local mono companies told me how even shoulder shots will not result in much meat damage. I fell for it at first, but having seen what a 150gr TTSX does in the bush when bone is encountered, those bone fragments make a mess compared to something a bit slower.
    I see wisdom in messors suggestion of a 165gr TTSX for bushveld, it will stabilize in a 1/10" 308 and will expand at those ranges too. Barnes have told me the 168gr opens up at lower speeds than the 150gr TTSX.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    At huntex last year, one of the local mono companies told me how even shoulder shots will not result in much meat damage. I fell for it at first, but having seen what a 150gr TTSX does in the bush when bone is encountered, those bone fragments make a mess compared to something a bit slower.
    I see wisdom in messors suggestion of a 165gr TTSX for bushveld, it will stabilize in a 1/10" 308 and will expand at those ranges too. Barnes have told me the 168gr opens up at lower speeds than the 150gr TTSX.
    I'm not criticizing your choice, I think the 168gr TTSX will work well. However, I really doubt whether you will be able to tell the difference between meat damage caused by a 150gr TTSX at 2800fps and a 168gr TTSX at 2600fps when both hit thick bone.

A shoulder shot does not necessarily mean that bone is hit, a shot through the top of the heart and the lungs on a broadside animal, placed on the shoulder, will not hit bone, it will pass through thick muscle though...

I've heard a lot about bullets that cause virtually no meat damage but absolutely destroys organs, I have never seen this actually work that way. Rifles, calibers and bullets are not magical devices, they are bound by the laws of physics.

150gr TTSX (or similar local bullet, or trophy tipped etc.) would be my first choice, 150gr-165gr Scirocco or Accubond my second choice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    150gr TTSX (or similar local bullet, or trophy tipped etc.) would be my first choice, 150gr-165gr Scirocco or Accubond my second choice.
    Any thoughts from users on the Scirroco as an alternative to the 150gr TTSX?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Any thoughts from users on the Scirroco as an alternative to the 150gr TTSX?
    Scirroco’s are pretty hard bullets ... they are brilliant, but they have a very narrow application window. They’re long for their weight, foul a fair bit and you also need a fair bit of speed for them to open up reliably. In addition, they’re way more finicky to load than TTSX’s.

User

Thanks to this informative thread, I have decided to start my 308 reloading with 180gr cup an core bullets (non bonded). I have narrowed down my options to one of three:
    Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady Interlock SP or Hornady Interlock BTSP.

This load is for bush hunting, with a Blue Wildebeest on the cards this year.

Any opinions on which bullet would hold together better at close (40-80m) range? I was initially looking at the 180gr Gameking SBT, but read some reports of bullet disintegration/jacket separation at close range.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RAY92 View Post
    Thanks to this informative thread, I have decided to start my 308 reloading with 180gr cup an core bullets (non bonded). I have narrowed down my options to one of three:Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady Interlock SP or Hornady Interlock BTSP.This load is for bush hunting, with a Blue Wildebeest on the cards this year.Any opinions on which bullet would hold together better at close (40-80m) range? I was initially looking at the 180gr Gameking SBT, but read some reports of bullet disintegration/jacket separation at close range.
    So far My 180g Prohunter has worked well, it shows signs of expansion and passes through on broadside shots. Reports show that it holds together better than the game king. Webster here has a lot of praise for this bullet. I'm currently shooting it at 2450 fps . No need for a boat tail at this distance.

User

I have used the 180 gr Hornady Interlock SP very successfully in the .30-'06 and the 180 gr Hornady BTSP (at long range) in the .300 win mag. As far as cup and core bullets go, they are good bullets.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RAY92 View Post
    Thanks to this informative thread, I have decided to start my 308 reloading with 180gr cup an core bullets (non bonded). I have narrowed down my options to one of three:
    Sierra Pro Hunter, Hornady Interlock SP or Hornady Interlock BTSP.

This load is for bush hunting, with a Blue Wildebeest on the cards this year.

Any opinions on which bullet would hold together better at close (40-80m) range? I was initially looking at the 180gr Gameking SBT, but read some reports of bullet disintegration/jacket separation at close range.
    You can save some money and load 180gr PMP Pro-Amm.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    You can save some money and load 180gr PMP Pro-Amm.
    Yes, I could have saved R90. But I remember something that you wrote:
    "If we stick with the normal cup and core bullets, and trying to meet the needs, there is no way in HELL I would chose the 180gr Pro-Amm over the 180gr Pro-hunter for R100 less. PMP bullets looks like they are finished off by toddlers, the Sierra stuff are professionally made, look and shoot the part. If the price difference was more only then would I consider the PMP."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast