User

Default Night vision monoculars: what to get?

Hi all,

I regularly hunt feral pigs in the sandveld at night. It is allowed by Cape Nature and Dept of agriculture, forestry and fisheries to hunt the pigs at night. Hunting with a light at night works well but I want to invest in night vision. Specifically for searching for pigs. I have narrowed the choices down to Armasight monoculars (since it is available in SA and there is after-sales support). The models I am looking at is the spark core G or a gen 2 N-14 or cirius model. Will be mounted on a helmet for hands free use. There is quite a price difference between the 3 models. Does anyone have experience with any of the models for example how fat can you see without IR illum and with? Advise I could get suggests gen 2. Any help appreciated!

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Night vision monoculars: what to get?

Chat to Bernard Agencies. I know they bring in NV
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Jip I think they bring in Luna optics. Will go look at some reviews on Luna.

I'm currently using a cheap handheld Bushnell IR monocular as a spotter, and then I switch over to an ATN HD nightsight for hunting hare.

Works well, as all you need to it pick-up the eye-shine and approx location and then focus in with your rifle.
    Israeli Carry is for dead people

User

Thanks Trundle. Will look into the Bushy. Have handled one on a game drive before. Think my friend still have it.

User

Leupold have the LTO-Tracker but I dont know if its available in SA. Looks like a nice piece of kit.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronom View Post
    Leupold have the LTO-Tracker but I dont know if its available in SA. Looks like a nice piece of kit.

Sent from my SM-J111F using Tapatalk
    I have seen these at Safari & Outdoor

User

Quote Originally Posted by 18-Xray View Post
    I have seen these at Safari & Outdoor
    Have looked at one and tried it but range is crap.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Have looked at one and tried it but range is crap.
    unfortunately that is a problem with most non-military class NV equipment. the built in infra-red illuminators are very weak. I have a Yukon Optics NV monocular. They sell an add on IR illuminator, taking the effective range from about 30-40m up to about 100m. It clips onto the side of the NV mono, but it is an additional bit of kit, extra weight and extra batteries.

The 2nd issue is that most 'affordable' NV equipment are all gen2 or gen3 sensors. they do not have very good contrast and they do not have very good resolution. again, fine for just spotting, but not going to be great if you want a weapons mounted system. but as stated above, range is going to be your biggest shortcoming.

My NV has turned into a nice camp fire toy to spot the jackal and other night critters in low or no light... yes, I know yukon is NOT a premium brand... ironically this identical unit I have (and the other models in the range) is, or at least at one point in time, WAS branded and packaged for Yukon, Bushnell and National Geographic amongst others

User

Gen 3 not available in SA. The gen 2 NVGs from Armasight are good. I am definitely getting a good IR for the helmet.