User

Default Kershaw knife sharpening.

Hi guys. I have a couple of Kershaw hunting and fishing knives that need a new edge. If you have ever had a kershaw fixed blade, the steel is hard as hell! I know kershaw overseas offers free sharpening, but is there a kershaw in SA or anyone that can service and sharpen my 4 knives?

P. S I am based in Jhb if that helps.

Banned

Default Re: Kershaw knife sharpening.

Some knife makers will do it for you. One or two guys specialize in sharpening but unfortunately I don't have their names; I just read about them on the forum.

Or you can diy it. Lansky takes time but works with Kershaw. Tormek is probably the fastest but requires practise. Stay clear from belt sharpeners.

User

Quote Originally Posted by StuartDB View Post
    Hi guys. I have a couple of Kershaw hunting and fishing knives that need a new edge. If you have ever had a kershaw fixed blade, the steel is hard as hell! I know kershaw overseas offers free sharpening, but is there a kershaw in SA or anyone that can service and sharpen my 4 knives?

P. S I am based in Jhb if that helps.
    In recent years most Kershaw knives have been made in China using 8CR13mov steel. These are not too difficult to sharpen.
    Their custom or special ranges have used steel like S30V which is very hard to sharpen.
    Recently they are using Sandvik 14C28N for a lot of knives which is a major improvement.
    Earlier pre 2000 knives were made in Japan. They used a very good quality steel which is hard to sharpen. Does anyone know what steel was used for these.

User

Doesn't S&O offer a free knife sharpening service on Mondays? No idea of the quality of this service but if their expert can't do it, maybe you can get some pointers.

I have various Kershaws including some 20+ years old. Sharpen them as I would any other without issues (Lansky and/or diamond stones + strop), so it's probably possible to sharpen yourself with a degree of effort.

Sharp Edge Sandton Cntr should be able to short out.
    Give them a call

User

They stopped offering this service.

User

I'm willing to assist. I've done it at a cost for people before, and have 3 knives lined up for a friend for the weekend anyway. Depending on the blades, I charge between R100 and R150 a knife - not bad I think. I stay in PTA but work in Fourways. I give discount to good guys (like Gunsiters) :D I'm no professional, but with a Tormek T7 it's not too hard to get a nice edge.