User

Default Article: "Winchester Wins $16 million FBI Ammo Contract For .40 S&W"

http://www.recoilweb.com/winchester-...#ixzz53Rptjy5k

Winchester Ammunition will supply the Federal Bureau of Investigation with .40 S&W ammo, a contract that is worth $16 million according to the FBI.
    Despite the contract being awarded in September, an official announcement from Winchester was made last Thursday.
    Under the contract, Winchester will provide a variety of ammo to include full metal jacket (FMJ), bonded jacketed hollow point (JHP) service cartridges, and frangible training rounds to federal law enforcement. Though the feds announced in mid-2016 that agents would be making the jump to 9mm with the Glock 19M serving as the organization’s official sidearm, the FBI says the need for .40 S&W still exists.
    “As a deliberate and planned phase of the Federal Bureau of Investigation transition to a new pistol caliber, the agency requires a .40 S&W ammunition contract to support the currently issued legacy pistols which are incrementally being phased out,” the FBI said in the original solicitation.
    Winchester alluded that its 180 grain JHP was a formidable contender in the bidding and evaluation process due to its reverse -jacketed, bonded bullet. The ammo maker says the JHP is capable of penetrating a variety of intermediate barriers all the while producing consistent penetration paired with reliable expansion. The JHP uses a nickel-plated cartridge that resists corrosion in addition to cleanly feeding and extracting, according to Winchester. The cartridge’s design culminates with flash suppressed powder, meeting the FBI’s darkened range requirements to ensure agents’ night vision is not compromised while firing.

“The FBI uses one of the most rigorous ammunition tests ever developed and we are very proud that Winchester has been identified as having the best product performance,” explained Matt Campbell, vice president of marketing and sales for Winchester.

While the FBI selected its primary supplier of .40 S&W cartridges, the bureau is still on the prowl for 9mm ammunition to fill Glock 19M magazines. A solicitation issued in September 2017 requests a variety of 9mm rounds to pair with the Glock service pistol. With a contract estimated at $35 million, the bureau is expected to make an award announcement sometime in the third quarter of 2018.

User

Default Re: Article: "Winchester Wins $16 million FBI Ammo Contract For .40 S&W"

Nice read thanks. No one knows what round or bullet weight the FBI are going for in the new 9mm handguns? Would be interesting to know what they choose.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Nice read thanks. No one knows what round or bullet weight the FBI are going for in the new 9mm handguns? Would be interesting to know what they choose.Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    You'll have to wait. The original post say they're only expected to award the contract 3rd quarter 2018.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Default Re: Article: "Winchester Wins $16 million FBI Ammo Contract For .40 S&W"

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver_WP View Post
    You'll have to wait. The original post say they're only expected to award the contract 3rd quarter 2018.
    And so we wait. I'll stick to my 127gr Rangers until then.

User

They're currently using Speer 147gr G2 fwiw

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    They're currently using Speer 147gr G2 fwiw
    Thanks.