User

Question Paradox wired passives - 476+ vs NV500 or DG55 or DG65

My local security company installed my Paradox MG5050 system today. The passives that were installed are the Paradox 476+ models. I was under the impression that they'd do the job fine. However, doing some zone walk tests it appears that they are seriously lacking in detection.

I am considering calling up the security company, and asking them to rather upgrade the passives to a higher spec model, like the NV500, DG55 or DG65. My question is, will there be a noticeable difference in detection performance?

The 476+ seems to be extremely weak when detection is required on the outer edges of the view angle, and when walking straight towards it as opposed to across the zone.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Paradox wired passives - 476+ vs NV500 or DG55 or DG65

The MG5050 supports wireless modules. I've got PMD75 inside and PMD85 outside. Works likr a charm and is very easy to install.

If you paid for the system and don't just 'rent' it from the security company, get the install/master code and change it immediately. No need for them to have that type of access.

Also it is easy to set up and program the system yourself using the usb cable and the Babyware software.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

User

I am aware that wireless is an option. I simply want to upgrade the current wired passives, as all the shlep of wired has already been done. And the wired passives are much cheaper than the wireless. Yeah, I will be resetting the master code ASAP.

User

Hmmm, PIRs in general works by detecting the change in heat through ‘beams’ of received IR radiated by an object. The key word here is CHANGE, measured over time. In order for detection immunity to work correctly, as the ambient temperature changes, many samples are taken and compared to previous samples over a set period of time and if there’s a spike (when a legitimate IR object is detected) it’ll trigger.

If you keep walking in front of a PIR, your constant movement will increase the ambient reference inside the PIR, making it less sensitive to your movement over that time. When you leave the room, the ambient reference drops and it’ll then be more sensitive to an IR object should you enter the room a minute or so later.

This makes it difficult to verify the detection ‘beams’ of the PIR if you keep walking in front of it or if you remain in front of it as it’s trying to differentiate between ambient IR versus radiated IR from a person. In practice, this isn’t an issue, as the PIR only has to trip when the first instance of an IR body is detected; it doesn’t matter how accurate it is for subsequent instances of an IR body in its field of view.

Going for the more expensive digital PIRs helps with differentiating between pets and humans. It won’t give you better detection, just better false alarm immunity. If you don’t have pets in the house, don’t bother with these fancier PIRs. Also, I generally prefer wired PIRs over wireless, as its one less worry you have as far as maintaining batteries in wireless passive safe concerned.

Paradox is good, I have the same here at home. What you need to do, however, is to check that the focus heights for all PIRs are properly set. It’s as simple as opening the PIR and making sure that the PCB inside is set for the height that the PIR is from the floor. Also, it should be obvious that PIRs shouldn’t be facing windows or other heat sources. Installers are lazy sometimes so they don’t always place the PIR in the best position in the room, but the easiest position.

I hope this helps clearing up some of your concerns

User

Thank you for the thorough explanation. Now I am actually more concerned, as throwing more money at the problem might not solve it! 🙂I did a fresh test this morning on my suspect PIR/zone, and it again failed to detect. I checked all the sensor heights and adjusted them accordingly, however, this did not change much in the effected zone.

User

Eish, then you need to get the guys out to check. Most probably the PIR is positioned incorrectly.

Hi RAY92.
    A little 'off topic' I know but it may be of use to you in discussions with your alarm installer.
    We have got Texecom Premier Elite PW sensors installed (hard wired) as a part of our alarm system and they seem to work very well.
    They are 'pet friendly' and so far have given us no problems and no false alarms.
    We do test them on a regular basis just to make certain that they are working 100%.
    Regards.
    Keith.

User

Thanks for the input guys. Reading up on the sensors, it appears that the one senor is definitely ill-positioned (facing two large sliding doors). And the other is a combo of "OK" position and not having the necessary detection close to the sensor (less than 1.2m). The NV5 (newer version of NV500) has 0.5m-10m range, which should solve some issues hopefully.

User

With the NV5 and 476 you get what you pay for.
    If you have the money go for the 525DM (handles heat really well). The DG55 are brilliant for the price.

User

The only reason for considering the NV5, is for the closer detection range (0.5m). But yes, I had my eye on the DG55 or 65. The 525DM would be a last resort, and probably only required for the one zone.