Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: How do we as South Africans change the way we license firearms

AND WHEREAS the increased availability and abuse of firearms and ammunition has contributed significantly to the high levels of violent crime in our society;

AND WHEREAS the Constitution places a duty on the State to respect, protect, promote and fulfil the rights in the Bill of Rights;"

To paraphrase it loosely: Too many guns and bullets killing too many people so the State has to do its job and protect the people by controlling the proliferation of said instruments of death and decreasing availability.

That is gradual civilian disarmament in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    AND WHEREAS the increased availability and abuse of firearms and ammunition has contributed significantly to the high levels of violent crime in our society;
    Availability does not equal abuse, and abuse does not equal high levels of violent crime. The gun lobby has to prove this to be factually untrue. If this is untrue, the basis for civilian disarmament is fatally undermined. Then it is simply exposed for what it always has been, total control over the subjects.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    Availability does not equal abuse, and abuse does not equal high levels of violent crime. The gun lobby has to prove this to be factually untrue. If this is untrue, the basis for civilian disarmament is fatally undermined. Then it is simply exposed for what it always has been, total control over the subjects.
    Quite so.

Quote Originally Posted by Enith41 View Post
    Hi everyone,

So I had a thought. I have spoken to a few gun shops as well as my DFO about the way we license firearms in South Africa.

Why is it that you have to motivate every single license when we are legally allowed 4 firearms once we have done our competencies and legal tests?

If the department was trying to make money from us then why make the renewals R170 every 10 years, make relicensing an annuel thing like a vehicle license. I think it would be better to license the person rather than the firearm, but register the gun in that person's name.

What would happen if we adopted the same system as vehicle licensing?

For example, I would need to take my test (competencies and legal tests) to prove I am able to own a firearm as well as fit the legal bill to own one. I would then get a card that allows me to purchase and own a firearm, let's call this Code A. Then I would go buy a gun and have it put on my name. If I wanted to own multiple firearms (more than 4) I would need to motivate why and get code B card. All we would then do is pay say R170 for a code A, R350 for a code B, ect...

I am just opening the conversation on how we can make this work in our favor as firearm owners and enthusiasts.

Please let me know your thoughts as well how we can go about trying to bring some sort of change in the law
    No renewals, no re-licensing. No compromise on that.

Guns are expensive, prohibitively so for most. No restriction on numbers

User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo Keeper View Post
    No renewals, no re-licensing. No compromise on that.
    This is something that gfsa are quite boastful about.

The underlying premise of the fca was to incrementally make things more difficult for owners with each set of new amendments,eventually that hardly any can eventually meet the criteria for re-licensing requirements,forcing you to dispose of/hand in your guns with the each 5/10yr cycle.

Failing this,like we had with the last proposed amendments failure to launch,the other component being that the bureaucratic mess was also intended to crash the system due to the additional burden of "renewal cycles" like we see now.

So without this renewal mechanism,it effectively kills the fca! Get that right...

User

I do not understand why anyone would want to go see thier DFO to renew every year.... why would that even be a though?

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

Quote Originally Posted by G33 View Post
    I do not understand why anyone would want to go see thier DFO to renew every year.... why would that even be a though?

maybe she is a looker?

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    maybe she is a looker?
    Isn't that what the internet is for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2