Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: The ConCourt battle on 8 February. Important!!!

I seem to recall confiscation without compensation being mentioned in previous discussions.

How will this case impact the concept of property ownership in South Africa as a whole? Is there a risk that this can set a precedent for larger issues?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Marius@Jizni View Post
    I seem to recall confiscation without compensation being mentioned in previous discussions.

How will this case impact the concept of property ownership in South Africa as a whole? Is there a risk that this can set a precedent for larger issues?
    This is exactly what I am personally worried about.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Marius@Jizni View Post

Winna winna chicken dinner!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Winna winna chicken dinner!
    PUBG much

Paul, as I understand it, only Hunters is really a respondent currently, maybe Fidelity and Dealers Association being the other 2 that were told to put their cases behind the Hunters bid? Or was that only for the last round?
    GOSA coming into it as a supporter of Dealers Association last time?
    How has this now changed? I assume for GOSA to be part of it themselves, they will need to apply and be granted status? Which would be a good thing. Just would like a bit more detail on the parties currently involved and the plan if we bring in more.

Hi Guys.
    Don't forget that the ANC has now made it 'policy' for land appropriation without compensation.
    It's all a part of 'the thin edge of the wedge'.
    Watch this space and the GOSA Facebook pages as 'the horror' (apologies to Joseph Conrad) unfolds .
    Regards.
    Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    When the State takes over custodianship of property it is not expropriation.

Confused?

Me too, but that's the Con Court for you. Said so in the mineral rights case. Expropriation without compensation is not something which scares the ConCourt.

Quote Originally Posted by Manservant View Post
    When the State takes over custodianship of property it is not expropriation.

Confused?

Me too, but that's the Con Court for you. Said so in the mineral rights case. Expropriation without compensation is not something which scares the ConCourt.

User

Hi guys. I have just read SAPS’ heads of argument.

Unfortunately in my opinion their arguments are very difficult to counter. In my view the Concourt will only address the very narrow issues before it ie. the constitutionality of the relevant sections and not the issues concerning CFR inefficiencies and whether the licencing philosophy of the FCA is correct or not as GOSA is trying to argue on the coat-tails of the SA Hunters case.

I think GOSA may have chosen the wrong case to push that agenda. I doubt the Concourt will entertain what GOSA wants to argue.

GOSA’s agenda of rewriting the FCA to allow for licencing the individual and not the firearm is indeed laudable but is a fight for Parliament and not the Concourt. The courts do not make policy decisions. They merely interpret existing legislation and pronounce on its constitutionality. Only Parliament writes legislation.

This case is also not about pro gun v anti gun. The Concourt will not deal with such issues.

It can also not be argued that the sections in the FCA are unconstitutional because of CFR maladministration. Indeed SAPS concede they have poor administration but it is irrelevant regarding how the FCA must be interpreted.

So, in conclusion, I don’t believe the Concourt will entertain GOSA’s arguments (unless GOSA has cogent arguments on the constitutionality of the relevant sections) and will not entertain the other issues since they are irrelevant.

Ultimately, I think SAPS will win the appeal.

I hope I’m wrong.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by GK21 View Post
    Hi guys. I have just read SAPS’ heads of argument.

Unfortunately in my opinion their arguments are very difficult to counter. In my view the Concourt will only address the very narrow issues before it ie. the constitutionality of the relevant sections and not the issues concerning CFR inefficiencies and whether the licencing philosophy of the FCA is correct or not as GOSA is trying to argue on the coat-tails of the SA Hunters case.

I think GOSA may have chosen the wrong case to push that agenda. I doubt the Concourt will entertain what GOSA wants to argue.

GOSA’s agenda of rewriting the FCA to allow for licencing the individual and not the firearm is indeed laudable but is a fight for Parliament and not the Concourt. The courts do not make policy decisions. They merely interpret existing legislation and pronounce on its constitutionality. Only Parliament writes legislation.

This case is also not about pro gun v anti gun. The Concourt will not deal with such issues.

It can also not be argued that the sections in the FCA are unconstitutional because of CFR maladministration. Indeed SAPS concede they have poor administration but it is irrelevant regarding how the FCA must be interpreted.

So, in conclusion, I don’t believe the Concourt will entertain GOSA’s arguments (unless GOSA has cogent arguments on the constitutionality of the relevant sections) and will not entertain the other issues since they are irrelevant.

Ultimately, I think SAPS will win the appeal.

I hope I’m wrong.....
    A couple of lawyers are in disagreement with you about the above...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast