Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: How did it start, when and where?

Nobody in my family hunts, or does any sport shooting. Only SD guns, so it took a while before I starting down the road towards shooting and becoming a gun owner. But still quite a ride.

At 13 y.o I got a mini crossbow that I shot with my dad. Was fun, and a cool introduction to gun safety rules.
    Also watched my dad shoot at a shitty range with tiny rooms as bays. My sensitive ears hated it. Didn't go again for years.

At 17 y.o, I decided to try shooting again. Shot my dad's revolver in my Matric year at the same shitty range. Wasn't terrible, still not super fun.

At 19 y.o, I realized I wasn't far off 21, so I took more of an interest in guns.
    Shot my dad's revolver at Die Blou Meul in Alberton more regularly, and started loving it. The range was so nice, much quieter/more comfortable than that other shitty range.

At 20 y.o I did lots of researching. Went to a local gun shop. Got shown some real shitty old .38's for like R3500 and got told shitty info from the salesmen about S15/16 licenses.

A couple months later I spotted an absolutely beautiful Taurus 38 Special snubby for R2000. That was my first gun.
    Also bought a Baby Browning in October 2016, but that ended up being troublesome so I gave it away to a collector on the forum.

And then in Nov '16, my best friend was travelling via an Uber, two guys in a car forced the Uber driver to pull over and then robbed/threatened to kill my best friend.
    Realized a 38 Special with two speedloaders is just not going to cut it if I were forced into a life threatening situation against multiple armed attackers.
    Told the story to my parents, they were shocked that it happened to my best mate. Agreed to buy me a Glock and when to Dave Sheer Guns the following weekend. And that's how I got my G26.

User

The day i was born [literally] my old man bought me a Winchester 3006.
    My first word was 'Skipper' ,the name of one of the hunting dogs.
    My favourite toys were shotgun 'doppies'
    My favourite bedtime stories as a baby was being read ballistic charts.
    Farm animals were not cows and chickens but bushbuck and francolin.
    Chips and cookies were scorned over a nice fat dove,feathers singed off over a small fire in the veld.
    Currency was not pocket money,air rifle pellets and 22 ammo was preferred.

Anyway,you get the idea of how it started...and is still on-going.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Chips and cookies were scorned over a nice fat dove,feathers singed off over a small fire in the veld.
    And on a lean day a hand full of weavers or mousebirds would suffice :)

Grew is spending weekend and holidays on my uncles farm. From when I can remember, younger than 10, I shot a Savage tube fed 15 round semi auto .22. Never had a pellet gun and only really been interested in semi auto rifles ever since.

Shot a full auto mini Uzi before I was 12 too. It’s not my fault I have a favoured type of firearm now.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2