Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Cutting a kydex holster

Hi guys,

I want to get into the AIWB game. I have a brilliant Daniels IWB holster for my Duty. For some reason the holster is marketed for the P07 but its long enough to accomodate a P09 slide. Not a big issue for 3o'clock carry( it prints in jeans around the pockets a bit), but a little long for appendix.

My question is, can I (very carefully) cut away the excess kydex on the end. Making it shorter? It has retention screws under the trigger guard and by my measurements it shouldn't affect the retention at all.

Anyone ever do this?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Default Re: Cutting a kydex holster

Dremel!

Yeah it shouldn’t be a problem. Apply some heat to the edges afterward to smooth them out.

Watch a few youtube videos before you start.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Dremel!

Yeah it shouldn’t be a problem. Apply some heat to the edges afterward to smooth them out.

Watch a few youtube videos before you start.
    Cool, thanks man. What I wanted to hear. Will check the Tube before I cut tho. Such a nice holster and I think it has appendix potential. If not, then having a shorter strongside holster also wont hurt

User

Cut it about 5-10mm to long, place empty gun in holster and heat untill the cadex is soft and fold the cadex in to give a soft edge. This helps with the interface between the holster and softer parts.

A lighter with lights strokes with the flame will work, just heat slowly/conservatively to prevent burning the kydex.

User

yes, it can be done, would suggest that a few layers of masking tape around the part of firearm that will be underneath the area you are heating, this will allow for a clearance after kydex has cooled. if you using a heat gun, use it 15 - 20 cm away from kydex, also about 15 seconds, test until it becomes pliable, kydex gets warm quickly, and then a damp cloth to cool it down again.

User

Thanks for the tips guys. Dont have access to a heat gun. Will use a lighter but will make sure to cut it a little bit longer

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. Dont have access to a heat gun. Will use a lighter but will make sure to cut it a little bit longer

you can use the wife's hairdryer, works just as well

User

I’ve cut one of my G17 holsters as well to better fit a G19. Used a dremel cutting wheel and sanded the edge with 400 and 1000 grit afterwards. Just touched it with a barbeque lighter and it is smoother than the original edge.

Hair dryer works just as well. Was quite surprised to see how quickly the kydex heated up.

I trimmed an AIWB with a narrowed muzzle end and folded lips that kept eating me. Cutting wheel on lower speed followed by a polishing wheel at higher speed to smooth the new edges.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast