Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MacNab..

User

Default MacNab..

Morning Folks !

Has anyone recently tried a MacNab ?

Im thinking of trying it in 2013, any suggestions as where might be a good area ?

User

Default Re: MacNab..

Quote Originally Posted by D 375H&H View Post
    Morning Folks !

Has anyone recently tried a MacNab ?

Im thinking of trying it in 2013, any suggestions as where might be a good area ?
    Plenty, and one almost within an hour. Try an area next to a big river. I always hunted the area along the orange, antelope in the bushes, waterbirds on the fields and fishing, almost too easy. Water is the key.

Next time, tie a fly with the feather from your fowl and leather from your shoot.

Then catch yourself a nice yellowfish or trout!

This only really applicable where these fish are available. Also if your don't fly fish it could be a problem.

User

I do one every year, its my start to the hunting season. there are a few places where you can do them, I find the best place is dullstroom, only because i love eating trout. trying to find a new place for 2013 as the old farm was sold and they are not hunting next year. there are plenty around if you check on Google.

User

Dritz, if you find a good place, let me know...

User

as soon as i find one i will let you know.

User

I would suggest that you do the Mc Nab in Rhodes Village in the Eastern Cape. Grey wing, Trout and Vaalie. Have a look at Fred Steynbergs website http://www.linecasters.co.za/hunting/macnab.htm.

If all else fails you could attempt the urban Mac nab:

Budgie,
    Koi,
    Sausage Dog!

Good luck with your mission for 2013

User

Apologies for the necro post, this is an old post, but I did not see the value in creating a new one.

The MacNab challenge was mentioned on a recent fishing trip I went on. I have read up on this and it is something I would like to do, if I can manage to find an option that fits my pocket.

I did not grow up around guns, hunting or fishing. However, I am exploring these activities myself and loving the ride. Next on my list, my first hunt. I looked at a hunt that includes only 1 impala, which is all I am after for now, but it gets expensive quick going this route.

I would like to do my first hunt, without breaking the bank. I enjoy fishing and get onto the water a few times a year (C&R). So this seems like a great combo. However, the MacNab packages I have seen are not all that budget friendly, especially when all of the costs are laid out, including firearm hire. I do not own a rifle or shotgun, only a pistol. I do, however, have the appropriate competencies.

I suppose the next best, especially as a first time and budget friendly, would be to do a budget MacNab. Basically, what I want to do is shoot an impala, shoot any bird and catch a fish. I am really not fussy on the species targeted or a certificate at the end of the day. I am after the experience. I would also want to keep the skin as a keep sake of my first hunt and participate in the butchering process, to learn what it’s all about from someone who knows that they are doing.

I do not really have any like-minded mates who would be able to participate, so I am looking for a solo adventure. I could potentially take the wife with, if there’s a pool or spa she can chill at when I’m in the field.

Any ideas on venues that would be suitable to cater for what I am after? I am based in Pretoria but will be willing to travel within a 5/6 hour radius.

Sent from my FIG-LA1 using Tapatalk

User

Try call the gun shop in Maclear/lady grey, that area is well known for the macnab and i am sure they can put you onto a farm that caters for it.

User

Keepleft I took my brother in law to do a, well, boere-MacNab. I told him any buck, any bird, any fish. He ended up hunting an impala, shooting a pigeon (all we could find) and caught a kurper. It's not the real deal, but in 24 hours he managed it and was super proud, and the rest of us seriously enjoyed watching the frustration as time went on and the fish wouldn't bite.

PS this was for his bachelor's :P

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast