Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Steyr Manlicher 243

Quote Originally Posted by Blink Stefaans View Post
    Sent the pic to my friend and he says that is the rifleWill get better pictures today or tomorrow
    Seen the latest pics. Definitely not the same rifle as in the 1985 pic.

User

I would not look further.

Judging by the external looks of the rifle and assuming the same neglect and abuse took place with his cleaning [or lack of it],the chances of the barrel being good are remote.

User

I would take the rifle to a dealer for an inspection report. Then you would know if it is a rust bucket or if it can be salvaged. I suggest ARMS in centurion they do wonders with rifles and are not expensive. If you can salvage it get a quote on the repair cost but the stock is going to set you back!

Steyr Manlicher rifles are superb and the rifles will out life many generations.

The barrels are cold hammer forged and they are only one a a few gun makers that still do this to their rifle barrels.

There is rifles in the factory that have fired 40 000 rounds and was still true, take the rifle to a gunsmith to check it. But I am sure you will find that it is still good.

User

RoSsIkId...

A Steyr Manlicher rifle has no magic that will allow it it to outlive many generations of owners.Nice rifle,yes,but neglect it at it will be ruined just as easily as any other rifle.

Hammer forging of barrels is actually a pretty common method used in barrel manufacture and is also cost effective..as in Howa.

The manufacturing process of a barrel has no correlation to it's abillity to withstand corrosion and rust.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    A Steyr Manlicher rifle has no magic...
    Unless it is chambered for the .300 H&H or the 6.5 Swedish, then it has heaps of magic...

User

Yes T..that is true.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RoSsIkId View Post
    Steyr Manlicher rifles are superb and the rifles will out life many generations.

The barrels are cold hammer forged and they are only one a a few gun makers that still do this to their rifle barrels.

There is rifles in the factory that have fired 40 000 rounds and was still true, take the rifle to a gunsmith to check it. But I am sure you will find that it is still good.
    I would really REALLY like to see the 243 that has fired 40 000 shots and is still accurate. Or even 4 000 shots.

Maybe you should make the OP an offer on the rifle, since you seem the only one who appreciates it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by RoSsIkId View Post

Joking apart, I have to agree with AR and Pre64 here. A rifle, any make of rifle, is just a tool made of steel, wood and/or plastic. Some are better than others but none of them possess magical qualities. Forty thousand rounds are a lot, even for calibers that are gentle on barrels, like the .308 win, the .243 win is not known for being gentle on barrels. While it might be possible that the owner of the rifle in the OP cleaned the barrel religiously and simply did not care about the rest of the rifle I do not think that this is very likely. I treat my rifles like tools and nothing more, but I would not accept that Steyr Mannlicher even as a gift.

By the time you get that rifle back to a usable state it is probably going to cost a lot more than the price you could have bough a very serviceable, brand new rifle for.

Decided against getting the rifle.
    Thanks guys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2