Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default First impressions: Olight S1 Mini Baton

I took delivery of my newest Olight today, the S1 Mini Baton (thanks Duane for facilitating, 480BC Supplies rocks!). I opted for the HCRI version. This refers to the LED’s ability to render colours accurately. If you’ve ever tried to check the state of your meat on the braai with an LED light you’ll know that the colours wash out and the meat always looks grey. HCRI (High Colour Rendering Index) LEDs are becoming more available on the market these days and addresses this issue. Whereas “normal” LEDs give us a CRI index of 65 or less, this one is rated at a minimum of 90 (out of a possible 100).

With the HCRI version of the S Mini Baton, output is slightly less than with the normal LED, but as I’m not in the lumens race this does not bother me.

So first impressions:

The tint sucks. It’s too green for my eyes around the edges. Real bugger for me but I knew that it was a risk when I bought it so I’ll live with it. The tint on the non HCRI light is apparently normal again so if HCRI is not a must for you, go for the non HCRI one. Only in Turbo mode does the tint become less noticeable.

The beam profile is not quite as refined as with the “regular” S1 Baton, which is probably my favourite light. The diffused lens results in an uneven edge, although this is only noticeable when shining onto a white wall etc, in real-world use it’s not an issue.

It differs from the S1 in a few areas:

1. It’s noticeably shorter.
    2. It’s noticeable lighter.
    3. The switch button, while still rubber, feels sturdier and now contains a low battery indicator in the middle.
    4. The pocket clip cannot turn around the light anymore and is fixed to the opposite side of the switch button.
    5. The pocket clip is designed to work with a lens up or down carry, without having to remove the clip. Very nicely executed, I prefer this clip to the old one.
    6. The knurling is less aggressive.

The UI is slightly different to the S1, but an improvement in my view, and still includes the 3 and 9 minute timers, as well as a strobe function which is sufficiently hidden so that you won’t activate it unintentionally.

Real-world use impressions to follow in a week or so, it will get some decent pocket time for a bit to test it.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 21-01-2018 at 18:04.

Default Re: First impressions: Olight S1 Mini Baton

Some pics with the S1 mini and the regular S1:

Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Okay so after a few evenings of real-world use I have some more thoughts on it.

The tint is “getting better”. I tend to overlook the greenish corona, and the useable portion of the beam is not bad at all. In fact, after getting used to it the cool white of the regular S1 now looks almost garish. Really strange how our eyes perceive these things.

The beam is just slightly too floody for outdoor use, but that is negated by the 250 lumen setting that the regular S1 lacks. On this setting it gets warm slowly but not enough for concern.

The pocket clip is a really good feature of this light, doesn’t chew up your pants while still being secure.

The CRI only really becomes noticeable when comparing it to a regular LED light. On my lamb chops last evening it was really noticeable, but on the lawn less so. I suppose our eyes differ in this respect too as others have reported a big difference.

It’s staying in the pocket for the foreseeable future, I can see myself really liking this light.

Oh, the battery is at the forefront of battery tech. It has a built-in charger, while retaining regular RCR123 proportions. You literally plug a mini USB cable into the battery itself. Very nice.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 23-01-2018 at 06:45.

The light wouldn’t activate turbo last night, only high. The battery was too depleted to go into turbo, but not flat enough for the low battery warning light to come on.

Once at the office today I decided to try out the built in charger.

What a nifty and convenient little thing! Literally plug a cable into the battery itself, a red light comes on while it’s charging (visible through the battery’s wrapping) and turns green when it’s done.

It’s probably less convenient than the S1R’s charging dock, but still pretty cool.

User

i have seriously been looking at one of these to add a light to my EDC

thanks for the review!!

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    i have seriously been looking at one of these to add a light to my EDC

thanks for the review!!
    Olight is currently at the very tip of flashlight innovation (along with Zebralight which we don’t get here) and the quality is right up there with the best of them.

If you do decide on an S1 Mini Baton, go for the normal “cool white” option, not the HCRI. It’s has better output and the mode spacing seems a bit better as well. Duane should be able to sort you out in no time.

User

will do, gonna take a look now, we have our mozambique trip coming up shortly so busy gathering items that may be essential should we find ourselves on the road side

Skaaphaas you must try the NEW T2 from LED LENSER.

You won't need to shine it's light on the braai chops in order to see the colour, you can simply just shine the T2 LED LENSER onto your Skaap chops without ever turning the chops due to the fact that the LED LENSER's LED is so good it shines through the chop in order to see when the meat is done or not and if it is perhaps still underdone simply keep the LED on TURBO function shining this torch on your meat and it will cook it to well done within two minutes.

What a light this T2 Led Lenser is!!!

Lol, lumens race? No thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast