Default Bringing guns into SA for a hunting trip from New Zealand. (need advice)

Hi Guys

I am a South African Citizen but I'm working and living in New Zealand, i am also a resident here.

Later this year when i come to visit the family as i do every year i want to go do some hunting but i don't own any firearms in SA anymore and my family doesn't either. I know i will need an invitation from the farmer whose land I'm going to hunt on (don't have a place yet) and i know what paperwork i need from NZ and i know that i will get a Temp licence once i arrive in SA and that I'm restricted to 200 rounds per rifle.

What i don't know is, how much hassle is it to get the temp licence at the airport when you arrive and you are a SA citizen with overseas residency? I know if you don't have residency overseas but only visa then you also need a South African licence, but residents of other countries are allowed to do this. Can anyone advise?
    I have Rifle and Pistol competency from SAPS that is still valid.

Any NZ residents maybe on here that have done this?

Cheers

Default Re: Bringing guns into SA for a hunting trip from New Zealand. (need advice)

To add to this, i have emailed the CFR a few times over the last year or so but never got a response. Cant remember who it was i emailed but i recall they had and Afrikaans name and Surname.

Default Re: Bringing guns into SA for a hunting trip from New Zealand. (need advice)

As far as I understand it the temp permits are aimed at foreigners. I do not know if you can get one being a ZA citizen and officially a resident in the country. May be easier to rent the rifles in the country.

On the CFR: call them, emails are just ignored.

User

Keen to know the answer to this too

Right

As far as i could gather ( no luck getting hold of SAPS yet) but speaking to outfitters in SA, we as residents of an overseas country need to follow the same process as if we were foreign citizens as long as we have overseas FA licences. The search continues

User

I found the same problems being a South African citizen living abroad, because of all the red tape involved I decided to hunt in Namibia and Mozambique, now that I have a Canadian citizenship things are completely different so now I will bring my sons hunting in SA