Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Competency valid until last licensed issued: does anyone have this amendment in w

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    There is no such thing as a self defence competency or a dedicated status competency.
    I am aware of that but it does stipulate period of validity as the period determined in the Act in respect of the licence to which the Competency Certifcate relates,

Self defence licence valid for a period of 5 Years
    Dedicated sport/Hunter licence valid for a period of 10 Years

Default Re: Competency valid until last licensed issued: does anyone have this amendment in w

So if I have a handun under S13 and another on S15?

Not saying you’re wrong. I’m pointing out the fallacy of the amendment. If I do handgun comp but don’t licence a handgun, when does it expire?
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I think the expiry of the competency as it currently stands is just plain stoopid!

This is the equivalent of the MV licensing authorities requiring me to re-do my K53 driving licence test (competency) every 10 years AND ALSO to renew my driving licence card (FA licence card) every 10 years. Surely all that should be necessary is the renewal of the FA licence every 10 years (s.15 / s.16 etc) or every 5 years (s.13) EXCEPT AND UNLESS your personal circumstances change (such as being declared unfit to possess a FA, developing mental health issues, obtaining a head injury which affects one's competence to own a FA etc.), in which case perhaps then the competency might need to be re-done and/or renewed... but that's just me...

Thoughts / comments!???

User

I had a colonel from cfr in my office doing an inspection and asked him the same question. We are in the security industry which all my staff have competency, but don't all own a personal firearm and he could not give me an answer. I just stick to the principal that a business licence is valid for 5 years, so they renew their competency every 5 years. It is a simple process to renew a competency for R70, so I would rather do this every 5 or 10 years than sit in a situation, where I need to renew a licence within 90 days and the will not accept it because competency has expired. Then you have another problem that could of being avoided.

User

And not only that you also have to redo your learners because the unit standard changed so buy new books go write your learners again... And then do licence test again...I had to redo my competencies as I originally did them in 2001 and my DFO wouldn't take my paper work until I renewed my handgun comp... my handgun licence is up end 2019 only
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    I think the expiry of the competency as it currently stands is just plain stoopid! This is the equivalent of the MV licensing authorities requiring me to re-do my K53 driving licence test (competency) every 10 years AND ALSO to renew my driving licence card (FA licence card) every 10 years. Surely all that should be necessary is the renewal of the FA licence every 10 years (s.15 / s.16 etc) or every 5 years (s.13) EXCEPT AND UNLESS your personal circumstances change (such as being declared unfit to possess a FA, developing mental health issues, obtaining a head injury which affects one's competence to own a FA etc.), in which case perhaps then the competency might need to be re-done and/or renewed... but that's just me...Thoughts / comments!???

User

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    I had a colonel from cfr in my office doing an inspection and asked him the same question. We are in the security industry which all my staff have competency, but don't all own a personal firearm and he could not give me an answer. I just stick to the principal that a business licence is valid for 5 years, so they renew their competency every 5 years. It is a simple process to renew a competency for R70, so I would rather do this every 5 or 10 years than sit in a situation, where I need to renew a licence within 90 days and the will not accept it because competency has expired. Then you have another problem that could of being avoided.
    I had a similar issue when I tried to apply for a new FA licence and, at the same time, wanted to lodge the forms for the renewal of my competency (for bolt-action/manually loading rifle).

The DFO from Brooklyn SAPS (Pretoria) refused to accept my competency renewal because she said that this would be valid until the last-expiring of the rifles I had licenced using that competency... (at that stage the competency's expiry date had passed)...

In addition, she said I could only apply for the renewal of the competency (IIRC) 90 days before it reached the "deemed expiry date". FYI, this was for a competency which had an issue and expiry date...

Now what happens if one was to have a combined competency (for, say, handgun, shotgun and manually loading rifles) and if you buy a new FA in one of those categories every 1-2 years after, say 8 years of the original competency validity period had passed. Surely this would effectively mean that you could drag out and extend the expiry date of the competency for years (perhaps 15-20 years etc), wouldn't it!???

User

I had 2 new licenses issued after the "expiry" of my comp and my Comp to Trade was also issued after the "expiry".

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    So if I have a handun under S13 and another on S15?Not saying you’re wrong. I’m pointing out the fallacy of the amendment. If I do handgun comp but don’t licence a handgun, when does it expire?
    Precisely. Here's another illustration of how stupid this competency expiry is. I have 3 competencies on 1 certificate, with 4 licenses relating to that competency. So when does it expire? When my 12ga license expires? Or one of 3 MSR licenses?I suspect the ammendment was penned from the narrow view of one applying for a single competency and single license at the same time. They never considered our reality of buying and licensing more and more guns against a competency.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

User

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    I had 2 new licenses issued after the "expiry" of my comp and my Comp to Trade was also issued after the "expiry".
    I am in the same boat.

3 licenses received after "expired comp" all s16 and DFO did not want me to apply for new competency as the last license was still valid. How can I all of a sudden be less competent if my license to possess such firearm is still valid for 10 years?

Doesn't make any sense.

User

I have four comps on ene certificate. No expire date. I have two licenses for handguns on sec16 that is valid till 2024. I had to renew all comps for my sec13 renewal last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast