Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Support for various brands

Hi All

My wife is buying a SD firearm. She has narrowed it down to a single stack 9mm with all of the pros and cons that goes with it.

I know the support for Glocks is great but can anyone provide any insight into level of support provided by the importers of the some other brands. Specifically S&W (as in for the Shield) and Ruger LC9 (or EC9s if brought in).

For interest sake, her criteria were concealability, mass and shootability.

Thanks, Ikwane

User

Default Re: Support for various brands

Smith support will be much better than Ruger support

The Shield is a substantially better gun than the LC9 as well

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Thanks. The G43 and Shield are the options then.

Of the choices you mention, the LC9 is the weakest option of the 3. Due to lighter weight and thinner profiles than others it is going to recoil a lot more. In terms of low recoil and ease of availability if accessories, the G43 is hands down the winner. The Shield isn't bad at all, but u will not find mags as readily available and stripping poses some minor challenges. Not a big fan of the wire that must be moved when stripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    Of the choices you mention, the LC9 is the weakest option of the 3. Due to lighter weight and thinner profiles than others it is going to recoil a lot more. In terms of low recoil and ease of availability if accessories, the G43 is hands down the winner. The Shield isn't bad at all, but u will not find mags as readily available and stripping poses some minor challenges. Not a big fan of the wire that must be moved when stripping.
    Yes, thanks. Felt recoil will be a big factor. She is quite enthusiastic to shoot her pistol often and I am concerned that a very snappy pistol may kill that enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre in Alberton View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what "wire" you're referring to? I suspect the sear disconnect lever? It's optional .... I still pull the trigger like on a Glock.

Ikhwane, as a Shield owner, mags aren't just available at any LGS, usually. But one of the 2 agents usually has plenty in stock (and my Shield is a 40), so a dealer can get them for you pretty quick. They also do cost a fair amount more. Expect R900 and up per mag for the Shield.

As for spares, I have yet to request a part that one of the agents hasn't ordered from S&W for me. Down to spare frame roll pins, replacement frame tools and frame plugs. But it may take a bit longer to get spares than for a Glock sometimes.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Let her shoot both side by side with the same ammo and then let her make an informed decision.
    I’ve shot both the 42 and the shield and for me, the shield wins hands down.

User

If recoil is an issue take a serious look at a G42

Quicksilver, yes I believe it's the sear disconnect lever. I know it can be bypassed when stripping. But it just looks so fragile to begin with.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post

Who is the importer for S&W?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast