Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Support for various brands

Just to be fair, it's not just ergonomics, but mass too. IIRC and empty 9c is a tad heavier than an empty G19, and more than a tad when compared to an empty G26. I've done the 9c/G26 comparison and the difference was very noticable. But I really believe the extra mass plays a big role.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Just to be fair, it's not just ergonomics, but mass too. IIRC and empty 9c is a tad heavier than an empty G19, and more than a tad when compared to an empty G26. I've done the 9c/G26 comparison and the difference was very noticable. But I really believe the extra mass plays a big role.
    Yes the Shield is closer in weight to the G26 than G43. I think it has about 60-70 grams (both unloaded) over the G43.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ikhwane View Post
    Yes the Shield is closer in weight to the G26 than G43. I think it has about 60-70 grams (both unloaded) over the G43.
    With that said, where pure ergos are concerned, the Shield is softer shooting than the G26. Again, in fairness, the G26 I shot didn't have the backstrap on the I would've used, but then the Shield doesn't even have adaptable grips.

User

Unfortunately most of you guys are preaching to the choir, and that doesn't help those that is really looking for answers.

Meaning rather answer this, if you look at these small models and recoil, are there any of them that really cannot be mastered with practice?
    I mean if you can become proficient in any of these then the choice is personal, if any of them hamper real life performance it must be avoided.

So which is it?

User

Messor, the double-edged sword is the the "with practise" part, and the fact that no-one is going to shoot the gun as well in their first "trying out a gun" session as they will when they've actually practised with it. I believe adding to this is that the "trying out sessions" often happen at i door ranges, where the noise and concussions makes for a very uncomfortable shooting experience for novices.

On the odd times I take novices out to shoot handguns for the first time, I make sure it's outdoors, I insist that they double-plug and (if the opportunity allows) I let them slow-fire a mag full of ammo into the backstop without aiming at a specific target, just to get slightly used to the sensation. Thereafter, I've found the "keep the sights aligned and focus on the front sight" bit is easier, and good results on target is positive feedback to keep on going.

Then, you do get the odd ones that either just remain scared, and the other odd ones that just do the right things and get the results right away. I'm proud that my softer half seems to fall in the latter category, on only the second time she even shot a handgun, she put a fist-size group from 5m in an IPSC a-zone, with my Shield.

Getting back to guns to be promoted and guns to be avoided: the gun should not be a hurdle to good performance in itself, else she won't practise with it after getting it. IMHO hurdles would be excessive or painful recoil, unduly long DAO triggers, shit sights (and here I do NOT include standard Glock sights, while they're not perfect they're by no means shit). Thereafter I believe with practise proficiency will follow.

So Pirate your list would be the G43, Shield and, if needs be, the G42?

User

The bad news:
    Two weeks ago I "saved" a few hundred Rand by not buying those expensive imported snap caps for my .40 S&W but rather buying the "affordable" locally made solid brass snap caps. This weekend I had two inexplicable failures to extract. When I got back home I discovered that the extractor claw was chipped, ...and that the rims on my snap caps were thicker than they should be. (And they probably put too much tension on the extractor...)

The good news:
    Its a Glock! Yesterday morning I got a new (Gen 4) extractor at the first shop I called. My G22 is actually a very early gun with the 90 degree extractor, but the newer extractors work fine. After buying the new extractor Piet discovered a bag full of older Gen spares... So this morning I went back and after comparing a few extractors to my broken one, I now have an original 90% extractor also...(for when I want to return the gun to its original state)

Thank you Glock for flooding the market with spares, and thank you Shooting Stuff for letting me fidget through your bag of spare extractors.

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    The bad news:
    Two weeks ago I "saved" a few hundred Rand by not buying those expensive imported snap caps for my .40 S&W but rather buying the "affordable" locally made solid brass snap caps. This weekend I had two inexplicable failures to extract. When I got back home I discovered that the extractor claw was chipped, ...and that the rims on my snap caps were thicker than they should be. (And they probably put too much tension on the extractor...)

The good news:
    Its a Glock! Yesterday morning I got a new (Gen 4) extractor at the first shop I called. My G22 is actually a very early gun with the 90 degree extractor, but the newer extractors work fine. After buying the new extractor Piet discovered a bag full of older Gen spares... So this morning I went back and after comparing a few extractors to my broken one, I now have an original 90% extractor also...(for when I want to return the gun to its original state)

Thank you Glock for flooding the market with spares, and thank you Shooting Stuff for letting me fidget through your bag of spare extractors.
    This post neatly demonstrates the importance of immediate logistical support for your self defence gun.

Being able to "order" parts is not acceptable. You must be able to replace broken or lost parts immediately.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Why do so many people spend a fortune on accessories over and above the basics and not keep essenttials spares on hand for their EDCs?
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    This post neatly demonstrates the importance of immediate logistical support for your self defence gun.

Being able to "order" parts is not acceptable. You must be able to replace broken or lost parts immediately.
    It also demonstrates that one should have more than one of the same type of gun should one's EDC go down. My G22 is only because I have always wanted a .40 to play with. If it dies I have other guns to play with.

My EDC has a full set of spares ready to drop in. But if all else fails I have 5 other guns that can do EDC duty aside from my S&W model 19, which is also just for playing ;)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast