Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Combative Fitness

Motivation is fickle. Dont give yourself the choice doing it or not if you know you'll choose not to

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Motivation is fickle. Dont give yourself the choice doing it or not if you know you'll choose not to
    This.

I too often choose not to, and then I get kicked in the face because I can't keep my hands up anymore.

BTW, Arno's Merrels don't taste as good as they look.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeOfWar View Post
    This.

I too often choose not to, and then I get kicked in the face because I can't keep my hands up anymore.

BTW, Arno's Merrels don't taste as good as they look.
    Our Bloem course has been postponed so I have another chance to improve on fitness before he delivers his beat downs

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

User

i would rate physical strength and fitness right up there with firearms training

if you are disarmed and end up tussling on the ground, i wish to be in a position to over power and destroy. far too many of the attacks we are seeing are against our elderly who cannot fight back, and this seems to give criminals more vigour in their attack

im 6 foot 9 and now with age am filling out (not in the good way) but i do try make an effort with keeping active

User

One of the most important training tips I picked up from Arno Barlow was to train through your mistakes. When exercising and practicing pistol craft at the same time your heart rate is elevated and you become fatigued. You initially tend to fumble draws from concealment. On a static range I used to stop and start again. In a fight you can't. So while training now I work from the mistake, trying not to pause and just get the gun into action.

User

Anyone have a decent training program they like to follow? I assume coupling these exercises with sprints/interval training as well as body weights is the way to go, but does anyone have specific weight training to strengthen shooting muscles? (shoulders, lower back etc)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Anyone have a decent training program they like to follow? I assume coupling these exercises with sprints/interval training as well as body weights is the way to go, but does anyone have specific weight training to strengthen shooting muscles? (shoulders, lower back etc)
    Not really sure or my lane but...

If for fighting, Pat McNamara runs a functional fitness course which may be interesting and available online. I personally just watch YouTube and do whatever functional exercises I can or ceel like.
    For sports I recall seeing JJ Recaza doing some stuff in the gym (I suppose all the top shooters do)

I'm sure others will have some suggestions.

User

Not specifically for shooting but check out Tactical Barbel for a comprehensive plan combining cardio and strength training if you don't want to make your own program

User

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've been mimicking "draws" in the gym (in a quiet corner, mind you, because it does look funny) with a 3kg dumbbell. It's double the pistol's weight, and I try to get it up and "in action" as fast as possible from my hip. It has increased my grip strength most (from what I can see), and it's causing me to grip my gun more securely, allowing faster follow-up shots.

User

Two restance bands on around chest for forward movement and one under right foot.
    Draw up and push out (like a draw and aim, in action, momement)
    Wrist curls with barbell for wrist and forearm
    Other then that HIIT training and cardio and always Core, I am a big believer in core.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast