Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Default Re: 1883 Black Powder Hunt at Weltevreden Farm (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Patocazador View Post
    Gert, is the time period the same for the Bloemfontein hunt?
    Patocozador, MC Heunis told me the idea for their hunt came from photographs taken about 1895, of British sportsmen in the (then) Orange Free State.
    That puts their hunt about 12 years later than ours. Though 12 years seem short, it was 12 years of unprecedented development and invention of firearms.
    Smokeless powder, magazine rifles and smaller flatter shooting calibers all gained popularity in these 12 years.
    True to the era, our re-enactment group used the latest military rifles of the time. I see Lee Metfords, a 1897 Mauser and a Mannlicher Schoenauer in the photos.

They called it "The gentlemen's hunt", which meant a proper dress code. (That naturally excluded Gert and me, who don't own a tie, wear no socks with our "veldschoene" and can't really speak English. We were not invited.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Barnard View Post
    Patocozador, MC Heunis told me the idea for their hunt came from photographs taken about 1895, of British sportsmen in the (then) Orange Free State.
    That puts their hunt about 12 years later than ours. Though 12 years seem short, it was 12 years of unprecedented development and invention of firearms.
    Smokeless powder, magazine rifles and smaller flatter shooting calibers all gained popularity in these 12 years.
    True to the era, our re-enactment group used the latest military rifles of the time. I see Lee Metfords, a 1897 Mauser and a Mannlicher Schoenauer in the photos.

They called it "The gentlemen's hunt", which meant a proper dress code. (That naturally excluded Gert and me, who don't own a tie, wear no socks with our "veldschoene" and can't really speak English. We were not invited.)
    I would be unwelcome also. I haven't worn a tie since my daughter got married 8 years ago and I had to buy one for the wedding.

User

If only they will allow me to take a squire with me on these hunts since the squire will do all the English talking for me and I will do all the hunting ...the squire will be dressed as a " Gentleman as well, tie and all with nice socks and polished leather shoes... I will naturally take the squire with while hunting to carry my Boere Mauser as well as carrying the springbok back to camp...maybe then MC and his Gentlemans will invite me and Willie as well???
    Somewhere around Bloemfontein there have to be a " joiner" who will assume this role as a squire..I will look through my book about the joiners and handsoppers ...

User

Members I commenced restoring the Mauser 43 /11mm Mauser`s stock. It really is in need of some restoration work since it has been mended some time ago by someone who only knew how to drill holes and screw screws into a crack to keep it from falling apart..I already removed the screws..I now need to use a dremel tool to remove the surface in the cracks to ensure the bedding glue/mixed material will bond to the new sanded wood in the crack ..I will then fill the screw holes with American wall nut wood dowls I made myself. This will ensure a rifle stock that will not crack again , the dowls I will insert will blend in to the wood of the rifle stock.
    I am going to fit both my black powder rifles with ghost rings I am going to mill from a solid piece of square bar. The ghost rings will be secured as far back on the barrel as possible to give me a excellent sight picture when aiming..

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Members I am commencing with the organising of the next 1883 Era Black Powder hunt at Weltevreden farm under the guidance of owner Willie Barnard Here is a compilation on a video about our last hunt in 2017.

Part of this preparation is the build of a anvil/vice forge I am building for Wallace Vosloo.
    I already forged kitchen knives for the camp kitchen.

We are forging like the old Trekkers and hunting parties of yesteryear.
    Did some work today on the 1884 Era anvil/vice of Wallace Vosloo...here are some photos :

User

More photos:

User

Here is a video of how the anvil/vice/forge works..I now need to weld all the parts together , then the finishing work begins that will take a lot of time and flapper disk sanding work...
    I want to make some small changes add some equipment storage features as well. The legs are not as sturdy as I hoped for, so I need to improvise to forge crossbars to the legs that will double as storage space on the project.The handle is a temporary one..I still need to turn out a solid . strong vice handle ....this will be the last part I am making for this project....

Banned

Gert, is there sufficient steel of the anvil at the base?
    What I mean to ask is, is the anvil side solid enough to hammer away on?

User

I will definitely add a piece of steel column underneath the base of the anvil on the end part..there is a base piece that I will lengthen to act as a reinforce strut.This anvil is stronger than it looks and will be able to handle hammer strokes and forge work..

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12