Default Relocating to Europe, storage permit requirements?

Dear all,

My wife and I will be relocating to Brussels at the end of February, for a minimum of a 2 year inter-company transfer stint (most likely much longer)...

i however want to store my pistol in my father's safe, given that he's a registered firearm owner - what is the required process to do so and can I store it on an "open ended" date insofar as our potential return is concerned?

TIA

User

Default Re: Relocating to Europe, storage permit requirements?

Hi Charlie, you have to stipulate the period as per FCA Regs below; start with a 36 month period?
    I suspect you get a letter (affidavit-style) from your dad, attach pics of his (valid) licence(s) and his safe, and get the DFO to approve.

Safes and safe custody
    86. (1) When a firearm is not under the direct personal and physical control of a holder of a licence, authorisation or permit to possess the firearm, the firearm and its ammunition must be stored in a safe or strongroom that conforms to the prescripts of SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2, unless otherwise specifically provided in these regulations.

(4) (a) A person who holds a licence to possess a firearm may store a firearm in respect of which he or she does not hold a licence, if-
    (i) he or she is in possession of written permission given by the person who holds a licence, permit or authorisation to possess that firearm and which permission is endorsed by a relevant Designated Firearms Officer; and
    (ii) the firearm is stored in a prescribed safe at the place mentioned in the permission contemplated in subparagraph (i).

(c) The permissions contemplated in paragraph (a), must specify the period for which the person concerned may store the firearm, the
    reason for the storage and it must contain sufficient particulars to identify the licence permit or authorisation and also the firearm in question, as well as, the name, identity number and physical address of the holder of the licence and the person to whom the authority is granted.

User

personally id find a reputable gun shop, whose been in business awhile and pay the storage fee

just seems easier, also takes responsibility off your dad

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    personally id find a reputable gun shop, whose been in business awhile and pay the storage fee

just seems easier, also takes responsibility off your dad
    ^^ Agreed

User

Why not purchase another safe and install it at your folks and take the key with you? FCA doesn't say where the safe must be just that you are the only one who has access to it.

User

I will agree with Grant.

User

I stored my father's rifle. Fill out forms, submit photos. Max length per dfo was 24 months. Can't remember if it was myself or my father (or both) who did the renewal after the 24 months.

Thank you for the valuable input, I truly appreciate it!

The dealer storage option seems to be the easiest / most hassle free option and I will as such pursue that route.

Reality is however stating to set in, although I'm probably going to sleep much better at night due to not worrying about the safety of my loved ones I will truly miss SA! :(