User

Default Add shotgun to competency

Hey guys,

A friend got me into clay-pigeon shooting recently and I'm hooked, so need to start the process while searching for a shotgun to buy.
    I have read through a couple of threads and it seems like I will be ok with adding on a shotgun competency to my current competency, i just want to confirm if what I'm thinking is correct:

I did all my training at Lyttelton Firearm Training Center in 2006.
    I got the SASSETA certificates for my .38 special & .303, and the LFTC Certificate for the Firearms Control Act.
    Used those 3 certificates for successfully apply for competency and the firearms.

Both licenses got issued in 2010, and I have renewed the .38 (S13) in 2015 already without issue.
    Both are up for renewal in Aug 2020 again.
    I wanted to renew the competency with the .38 in 2015 (as I only have the card not certificate) at Wierdabrug, but I was told that I didn't have to do it at that time and only when the .303 license expires.

Now with the shotgun I'm going back next week to LFTC to do the shotgun unit only. I was told I didn't have to do the Firearms act unit again.
    If I understand correctly I'm going to use the SAPS 517(A) form for the shotgun application and renewal of the other two.
    The shotgun should be under PFTC and I will be getting a Statement of Results with it as LFTC is accredited with PFTC, and the SASSETA for the other two will still work.
    As far as I could find this will work with all the certifications even though they are a mix of PFTC and SASSETA.

I'm just wondering if I will need LFTC to reissue me a new Firearm Act Certificate as the current one only mentions the handgun and riffle units I did at that time, or it is will still be acceptable with the new PFTC shotgun certificate for adding onto my current competency.

User

Default Re: Add shotgun to competency

SAPS 517(A) application for further competency

User

I don't think the 'LFTC Certificate for the Firearms Control Act' is actually the "Demonstrate knowledge of the Firearms Control Act 2000 (Act No 60 of 2000) applicable to possessing a firearm [Unit Standard 117 705], as it pre-dates the Knowledge Unit Standard.
    If you have successfully received licences on this Certificate as late as 2015, then it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering how you've gotten away with not possessing the Knowledge Unit Standard.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    I don't think the 'LFTC Certificate for the Firearms Control Act' is actually the "Demonstrate knowledge of the Firearms Control Act 2000 (Act No 60 of 2000) applicable to possessing a firearm [Unit Standard 117 705], as it pre-dates the Knowledge Unit Standard.
    If you have successfully received licences on this Certificate as late as 2015, then it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering how you've gotten away with not possessing the Knowledge Unit Standard.
    See that is what I'm concerned about.
    The certificate looks like this:

LFTC.jpg

I did the renewal in June 2015 without any issues, but now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't just do the firearms act unit also.
    I remember writing the act exam there before doing the other two units, so not sure if I'll have to redo it or if they can issue me a "new" unit certificate under RPL.

User

Yip, those are the old Unit Standard codes for Handgun and Rifle ...I'd personally recommend doing the new Knowledge Unit Standard. If they'll RPL you, go for it!

User

Spoke to the guys at LFTC and they suggested I do the act again to get updated certificate and then the shotgun unit. So I'm doing those two next week.

Also said no need to redo the other two as they are still valid, and with the new act unit I will not have troubles with renewing them as it shows I'm keeping my knowledge of the act updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk