Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT22

Banned

Default Taurus PT22

Any info on this gun because I I'm looking for a 22lr pistol just to play with and I can get this one for 500

User

Default Re: Taurus PT22

Taurus is as shady as walking dark alley ways with your pants down shouting, 'come n get it'. But . . .

I've played with the original Beretta one; For plinking on range, it rocks.

But, there are better modern .22 pistol design options, ones that actually fit in your hand. But R500 budget? Well disregard that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith View Post
    Taurus is as shady as walking dark alley ways with your pants down shouting, 'come n get it'. But . . .I've played with the original Beretta one; For plinking on range, it rocks.But, there are better modern .22 pistol design options, ones that actually fit in your hand. But R500 budget? Well disregard that.
    I'm actually looking for a Beretta 71 but they are overpriced R3800 at a gun shop near to my work

User

Quote Originally Posted by nerd View Post
    I'm actually looking for a Beretta 71 but they are overpriced R3800 at a gun shop near to my work
    Is that one gold plated?

They usually go for much less. The Beretta mod 71 is always a good choice IMHO.

U should be able to get a 71 for R2000 if u can find one. Sights are a little small though.

The Taurus PT22 just makes dimensions on NHSA mini box gun, and in .22lr it is a much better choice than Baby Browning in .25ACP or Beretta Jetfire in .22short or .25ACP. The .25ACP ammo is more expensive and harder to come by. Not the best calibre handgun to carry, but the .22lr can stop. I think it's a good deal at that price.

Banned

Lol there is a baby Browning for 350 I won't even think about buying it, but the 22lr is much better than a pocket full on stones, but if I do carry it it will be as a backup. If I draw it that will mean that I'm out of 9mm ammo and should already start running.

User

While this thread is gravitating towards carrying a .22RF handgun, and I'm not sure that this was the OP's intention, allow me to make a few remarks.

The 22 rim fire cartridge has been around since 1860. The design shows it. Outside lubed bullet and priming compound in the rim of the case. Both these features have some serious drawbacks.

Outside lubed bullet:
    The problem is dirt accumulation. This can fortunately be negated by sticking to copper-plated bullets.

Primer construction:
    The priming compound is smeared into the rim of the case while still wet, then left to dry. It has no protection in there and is very vulnerable. Any friction from the powder rubbing against it, or vibration from bumps or even a ride in a car, will eventually make the priming compound crumble and fall out of the groove in the rim. Then the round becomes a dud. Having fired many thousands of 22LR rounds, I have experienced these duds countless times. When pulling the bullet on such a round, the priming compound comes out with the powder. Check it out yourself.

By comparison, a typical center fire primer has the priming compound sealed in by a layer of paper and a varnish (or similar) compound and supported by the anvil. They are for all practical purposes vibration (and moisture) proof.

The primer construction in a 22 rim fire round makes it less reliable than any centre fire round. This gets worse when you carry it, as the constant movement is what causes the problems.

Should you be forced to carry a 22LR handgun for SD or BUG, then at least shoot out your carry ammo very regularly, as in once a week, and replace with fresh ammo. With the price of 22 ammo, cost should not be an issue. At least you will practice more than the average guy. This is important, as shot placement will be critical with a 22LR.

The 25ACP has very similar ballistics to the 22LR. The advantage is in the ammo's construction, especially the primer. The ammo will be more reliable. Having said that, good, safe and reliable 25ACP pistols are scarce. A CZ mod 45 or 92 seems like a decent choice. (Just add sights!) The Beretta and Taurus tipp-up barrel pistols (DA variants) seem well-made too. I would not even consider a Baby Browning or clone or any other single-action pistol. Their safety mechanisms are severely lacking.

User

This is a sect 16 gun and this gun and the .22 is only for playing at the range / training.

Please no talk of carrying it. You can get a little single stack 9mm minimum to carry as BUG. Or BUG a .45 like a boss!

Banned

I bought the Taurus PT22 will license it under s15

Saying you want to buy the PT22 to practice with at range as its cheaper to shoot. Would be wrong. A 22lr costs more then it would to load a 9mmP even with CMJ's.

The Browning medalist and gold trigger target pistols although bigger. Are so reliable you can feed them rocks. I would rather go for them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast