User

Default Droewors - what is your favourite spice

Hi guys.

It is almost time for the hunting season to start. I want to try another spice for droewors this year. What is your favourite spice. I normaly use Ouma's from Crown

User

Default Re: Droewors - what is your favourite spice

Crown or Freddy Hirsch. For me, the correct balance between fat and meat is more important than tinkering with the spices.

User

I agree with Proudprado; the correct ratios of meat/fat/game meat(depends on what type of game I managed to hunt) is very important. The correct type of fat is also important. That said, I like the taste of "Wapad" wors spice in my droëwors.

User

Salt, pepper, roasted coriander, vinegar and (if you like) some worcestersouce

User

The best fat would be "skaapstert vet " normally 10 - 12 % fat ratio is what i use

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    ...vinegar...
    Ag nee sies man! How can you ruin droëwors like that?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Maroelas View Post
    Ag nee sies man! How can you ruin droëwors like that?
    No man, not as if you soak the meat in the stuff :-)

I've never made droewors... Excuse the hijack but what are the ratios of venison, beef (I assume?) and fat?

User

Venison I find is according to taste depending on type of venison. If I hunted Blesbuck, I increase the beef to about 40% of total weight (Blesbuck tastes a bit more "wild" to me). If I hunted Black Wildebeest, I decrease the beef to about 20%, with some types of venison you don't have to add any beef. Fat is anywhere from 10% to even 30%. If however you use fatty brisket beef you sometimes do not add additional fat. With the spices I usually use less than what the packiging recommends. At the end of the day it is all a matter of what tastes good to you; do you want to taste only the spices or do you still want to taste the Blesbuck, Kudu or whatever you have hunted?

Some guys have super secret family recipies dating back to the Rinderpest. I have encountered oats, breadcrumbs and brown sugar as ingredients.

User

Guys thanks for your replies, but what i want to know is were do you buy spice and what is the name of one you use for your droewors. For instance say Safari from Crown or Kameeldoring from Deli ot Egte Plaaslekker from Freddy Hirst. I know how to make droewors and what fat to use , i am just gatvol for Oumas spice that i normaly use and want to try something new