Default A big bore switch barrel for my single shot

Hello, I haven't posted for about a year. How is everyone doing?

As some of you know, I use a 577NE single shot rifle made from a converted H&R 10 gauge.

I am making a switch barrel for it in 50-110 Winchester. This old straight walled cartridge came with a .510 cal bullet. My new barrel will have .500 cal. bullet, so I will be able to use the Cutting Edge, Safari Raptors and Safari Solids, or any bullet designed for the 500S&W Mag. I will load the 450 grain at about 2100 fps. The barrel will be 22 inches long and the over all length of the rifle will be 37 inches, which is shorter than my 30-30 Winchester carbine.

In August this year I will be hunting a number of buffalo in the good old LowVeld, and testing several different bullets, including Cast, Peregrin Bush Busters and Cutting Edge Bullets. It will make an interesting report. My wife Sandy will do the videoing.

I would like to mention, also, that on that trip, my 9 year old grandson will hunt plains game with a single shot 30-30 that I re-stalked for him. His bullets will be 100 grain CEB Raptors at about 2,700 fps. It should kill like a .243 Win.

We can't wait to be back in South Africa.

Cheer to all!

Default Re: A big bore switch barrel for my single shot

Looking forward to your hunt report.
    Please post some pictures of the rifles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandK, Thanks, I will. I think there are some older photos some where here. Maybe on the Big Game section. When the barrel comes from the gunsmith and I get the forend done, I will get some photos.
    The rifle is also on You tube. "Brian Hunts Cape Buffalo".

Banned

Hi Abrum, glad you are doing well. And we are looking forward to your next report!

On a side note: the photos I posted of the rifle and bullets are not on the forum any more. I took them down to upload some others. If someone wants a copy, please contact me and I will mail them.

Ds J, Good to hear from you! Thanks for speaking up about the photos. They are were probably getting to be "old". I made a different stock that is more convectional and took 2 lbs. off the rifle

The new barrel will bring the rifle in about 9 lbs and it will kill, at close range, as well as or maybe better than a 458WM.