Banned

Default Position of red dot sight on AK/Norinco??

Good morning Folks,

a friend has a Norinco type 56 and wants to add a red dot sight.

We have found hand guard mounts as well as dust cover mounts. (Correct names?)

What are the pro's and cons of these two positions?

User

Default Re: Position of red dot sight on AK/Norinco??

Dust covers can be a little wobbly so you might not get a return to zero. Some say it is more crucial with a magnified scope. A red dot, being less precise, may be ok.

Hand guard mounts- some don't like the red dot being so far forward. i personally have a railed gas tube and find no issue

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Dust covers can be a little wobbly so you might not get a return to zero. Some say it is more crucial with a magnified scope. A red dot, being less precise, may be ok.

Hand guard mounts- some don't like the red dot being so far forward. i personally have a railed gas tube and find no issue
    Pretty much this. It can make it a smidgen front heavy though.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post

I agree too. I wouldn't even trust the TWS gen2 railed dustcover that pins into the rear sight post to not wobble. Same reason I didn't put a picatinny rail on my M92 dustcover. I run a Troy railed gas tube on my 56 and a MI railed gas tube on my M92 (for now). I prefer to have it further forward since it seems, at least to me, that my other eye can be aware of the next target all the time. Whether this actually helps with transitions or not, I'm not sure.

As for the weight Cockroach mentioned, with the Troy rail and Zhukov aluminium heat shield and a brake my 56, is rather front heavy, but pretty much only moves straight back. So while feeling somewhat awkward when idle, it balances out perfectly when firing.
    There are no stupid questions ........ just stupid people

Banned

Thanks Folks, will relay the message.