Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Maintaining dedicated/occasional status (on a budget)

Maintaining dedicated status (on a budget)

Hi Gunsiters

I hope I haven't asked this q before. Apologies if I have. I have more weird ones I'd love to ask.
    I wasn't sure how to frame this question - shooting for the poor folk, limited income etc

Long and the short of it, it's a challenge to fund my pastime.

There are ways and means, but certain realities do remain.
    I've had my firearms since green card era. Now s13 and s15 handguns (regret that)
    In the last year I got to the range once, had a little cash to spend.
    (And also bought that wonderful book, FIREARMS: Developed and Manufactured in Southern Africa 1949 - 2000; it's worth every cent)

I would so like to move up to dedicated status, but what happens if I can't maintain the status.
    Also, My S15 re-license is due in 2021, what does CFR expect as acceptable activity for re-licensing?

I like pretty much all recreational shooting activities; what I'd love to do is just plink with a .22lr autoloader rifle and pistol. So much fun.

User

Default Re: Maintaining dedicated/occasional status (on a budget)

Look at NHSA, not very expensive and online ba#ș for submissions etc.

Www.natshoot.co.za

User

This is good info. Currently I have my targets signed off at the range. I'm keeping them as supporting docs for S15 relicensing. Whether that's necessary I don't know. Who knows what CFR may ask for in future.

User

It can only help with your motivation, it will show them activities. Even though it's not a requirement to even be a member of a club AFAIK.

User

Hi Johny. I'm a pin shooter and I'm probably (judging by cars and toys) the least flush guy in my club. We shoot once a month. But I can manage to do the required 5 shoots a year to maintain dedicated status. We normally shoot 3 strings of 3 main core events and then a elective. If you have a firearm for that event. So round count depends on you, but its not so heavy that I can't keep up with the reloading on my little single stage press. Events using .22 handguns and rifles are popular which will help with motivation.
    Also, seeing a lead stuffed bowling pin being driven clear off the table by a heavy .357 hitting the sweet spot makes my day.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

User

As most guys have the budget issue, we at our Club limit the round count to 50 rounds minimum. So, with a minimum of 6 Club Shoots required for IPSC it boils doen to 300 rounds per year if you don't miss.

Do able on a budget for the year. Most of the guys shoot more and then also shoot leagues which will then increase the round count. Add to that the practice sessions and it all adds up.

So with us you can be dedicated with only 300 rounds per year.

Yes, I know, don't start the issue of only 300 vs DSS. Due to not every one being too well off, we decided to do it this way to get guys and girls on the range. You will be surprised by the effect on their shooting when finances improve.

User

Join NHSA. To maintain dedicated status you need to perform a minimum number of shoots or shooting related activities. This is important as it acknowledges that you may not be able to, for whatever reason, actually shoot.

So permitted activities include:
    Attending gun shows (such as Huntex)
    Reloading
    Shooting at a range (no minimum round count required)
    Going hunting (even if you don't hunt, but participate in other ways)

User

Quote Originally Posted by MANNY82 View Post
    Hi Johny. I'm a pin shooter and I'm probably (judging by cars and toys) the least flush guy in my club. We shoot once a month. But I can manage to do the required 5 shoots a year to maintain dedicated status. We normally shoot 3 strings of 3 main core events and then a elective. If you have a firearm for that event. So round count depends on you, but its not so heavy that I can't keep up with the reloading on my little single stage press. Events using .22 handguns and rifles are popular which will help with motivation.
    Also, seeing a lead stuffed bowling pin being driven clear off the table by a heavy .357 hitting the sweet spot makes my day.

Pinshooting was something I had in mind, and a 45acp Norinco came up at a good price. A pinshooting club or league existed at Shukokai range in Cape Town at the time. I don't know if that club still exists

Edit: There's something mesmerizing about shooting pins with a 4-6 inch barrel large-frame revolver. It's like those guys get "in the zone" so to speak

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mnemonic View Post
    Pinshooting was something I had in mind, and a 45acp Norinco came up at a good price. A pinshooting club or league existed at Shukokai range in Cape Town at the time. I don't know if that club still exists

Edit: There's something mesmerizing about shooting pins with a 4-6 inch barrel large-frame revolver. It's like those guys get "in the zone" so to speak
    I'm a member of the WP club, we shoot every last Sunday of the month. Pin range is at the Western Cape Shooting Union range outside Atlantis.

http://sapinshooting.com/index.php?o...d=34&Itemid=64

User

Quote Originally Posted by Graham12 View Post
    Join NHSA. To maintain dedicated status you need to perform a minimum number of shoots or shooting related activities. This is important as it acknowledges that you may not be able to, for whatever reason, actually shoot.

So permitted activities include:
    Attending gun shows (such as Huntex)
    Reloading
    Shooting at a range (no minimum round count required)
    Going hunting (even if you don't hunt, but participate in other ways)
    Big ups to NHSA for implementing this. The firearm laws are onerous, this respects your dedication and commitment and goes a long way to eliminating financial hurdles to DSS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast