Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
WZ watch Blood Lions on YouTube. Some unscrupulous breeders removes the cubs from the mom causing her to breed up to 4 times a year instead of every 2 years. The cubs are hand reared and raised as pets and tourists attractions until the are to big. Then they are moved to farms to be hunted. Some provincial regs allows them to be hunted within 24 hours and camps as small as 5ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, but the key word here is "some"...

... and some captive-bred lions are not reared in this manner at all. I'll admit to having very little insight in this industry, but of the very little that I've read, shearing all breeders under the same comb is exceptionally shortsighted.

it's the classic situation of a portion of a population giving the whole group a bad name. We know it all too well in the firearms community.

I can in no way condone what you're describing above. But I CAN see a place for lions that are bred on enclosed land, fed with minimal human interaction, and released to roam self-sufficient for a prescribed time in a large-enough area, whereafter it may be hunted on foot, and not over bait...