Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: 1 Million Taurus Pistols Recalled

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    Hey atleast they call it a recall and not an "Upgrade"
    This is the 2015 recall. Cutoff date is 6 February 2018, and that is probably why it flashed up on radar again.

I guessed as much. As far as I recall there was quite a shake up within Taurus with a focus on quality control. I wonder if its paid off? I must admit they do appear quite innovative. But one mans innovation may be another's gimmick. I recall reading a long term test type thread here somewhere on the PT709. The fellow who wrote it thought it was a pretty good gun.

User

Apparently this whole recall issue started in 2013. Then someone, not satisfied with the recall conditions, started a class action lawsuit against Taurus USA in 2015. The case was finalized in Aug 2017 and the deadline for claims was 8 Feb 2018.

All that the lawsuit added to the normal Taurus USA "lifetime warranty" was the buy-back option. They offered to buy back any of the affected pistols for $200. I wonder what they sold them for...

If you lived in the USA, where Taurus would repair or replace a defective pistol at any time, they may be an option for the cost-sensitive buyer. If you manage to get a dud, you just send it back untill you get a better one. Sort of comforting, if your life does not depend on it.

With the typical owner's usage pattern considered, I suspect they get relatively few pistol back for warranty claims. Most owners will never discover they have a dud. Some principle probably applies here as well. "I've owned this wonderfull PT111 Millenium for XYZ years and it has never given me a single problem" seem to be a familiar quote. Very comfortable too! No one mentions round count. Who shoots 100 rounds through a handgun anyway, it is just for in case of SD, you know?

The issue of longevity and reliability is a bit of black box is it not? As you say very few people area put their firearm into a round count context. The are very few handguns that have been tested extensively other than those that have gone through NATO testing etc. Even those tests apparently miss issues - as we have seen with Sig. I find the frequency of recall/upgrades, no matter how minor, amazing. Even the most respected pistols in the world have had "upgrades". So I suppose we rely on anecdotes and experience and thus reputation. I think reliability (short term) needs no more than a few hundred rounds but longevity, well thats another issue entirely.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3