Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good News.

User

Default Re: Good News.

Apart from the license card, I need a set of scope mounts, a die set and some small rifle primers then I'm good to go. Actually feeling a little excited :)

User

TStone, I know this rifle was bought with a specific purpose in mind, but from a PHs perspective, do you prefer clients come with 30 cal rifles when hunting wildebeest size game or are you okay with the 6.5s etc.?

User

T
    What boolits you got in mind for
    1. Hunting ?
    2. Shooting paper and gongs ?

User

Antilon...from my perspective [for what its worth] as far as a client is concerned hunting plains game...i instantly relax a bit when he produces a simple well worn 308 or 3006 and i relax a bit more when i see he knows how to use it.

While i have shot multiple everything with my 6.5x55 i would be happier with the client using a 30 cal for the big stuff.

Conversly,i have seen more stuff ups with clients using 'magnum' caibers than with any of the standard hunting calibers combined.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    TStone, I know this rifle was bought with a specific purpose in mind, but from a PHs perspective, do you prefer clients come with 30 cal rifles when hunting wildebeest size game or are you okay with the 6.5s etc.?
    While I do think the .308" calibers are better for blue wildebeest sized animals, I would be happy with a client using a 6.5mm as long as he is using a premium (preferably a mono metal expanding) bullet.

T
    What boolits you got in mind for
    1. Hunting ?
    2. Shooting paper and gongs ?

I have 500 or so, 140gr Hornady A-max bullets wich I currently use in the 6.5x55 for springbok, blesbuck and warthog, so I will load these for the mentioned species, paper and gongs. Then I have small amounts of Nosler Accubond in 130gr, Barnes TSX in 130gr and Nosler AB LR in 129gr, I will try some loads with these bullets for larger antelope. I would be very happy if I can get the Barnes to shoot, if I can't I'll look at the 120gr Barnes or Pregrine bullets.

I also have some Peregrine 117gr target (non expanding) bullets that I want to try, specifically for gongs and maybe for shooting jackal where I want to keep the skins. I know a taxidermist who buy jackal skins but most of the skins they are offered is too blown apart to be usable.

Let us know how your new baby groups at longer ranges

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2