Default "Wrong DFO" complications?

Has anyone had any experiences of complications for using the "wrong" DFO? By this I mean a DFO out of their area.

I did my competency with a "wrong" dfo and had no issues, but I don't want to run into any risks of hitting a refusal because of this with the licence app. The DFO I used is located at Durban Central, but I'm supposed to use the on in Durban North. Logically it makes no sense to me that it would be an issue, but this is South Africa after all and logic is not what I'd consider a strong suite of the CFR be all accounts.

My reasoning for wanting to use the one in Central is he seems to be fairly pro-gun and is friends with the range officer of the local club I've joined, who recommended him and seems to be pretty clued up on the whole FCA and doesn't ask for stupid or unreasonable documents with applications. I can't say the same or anything else really for the Dbn North guy as I've never spoken to him. On 4 attempts to visit him, he's not been in and has an "by appointment" sign on his door with his cell... which he has never answered in all my attempts to contact him consequently I’ve developed a bit of a negative bias towards him.

User

Default Re: "Wrong DFO" complications?

Hi Eniigma,

I am by no means and expert on the ins and outs of the FCA, but a DFO in Pretoria told me that you may use the regional DFO in the area where you reside OR work, but that it has to either or.

User

I don't think it will make any difference to the CFR at all. You should be fine. Afaik the only reason to use a DFO near your home is for the safe inspection.

edit: now that I think about it I have used the 'wrong' DFO for seven successful applications!

User

Depends on where you are. Last time I checked WC provincial had a directive that DFO's weren't allowed to accept apps from people who didn't reside in their area

User

I live in Gauteng and I use a DFO in the Free State for my applications, just because of the quality of service and the ease of doing my applications