Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default New discovery: Vaultek safes

Hi everybody,

Disclaimer: Not everyone will like this safe or my ideas below. This is fine.

Some time ago I was looking into a night stand safe that would complement my main firearm safe. Now, the idea is that my firearm is always either on me or in the main safe. But life is more complicated than that. For instance, what do you do with your gun while changing clothes or sleeping? Do you have it under your pillow or in one of those fancy holsters that you wedge between the mattress and base of your bed? What about when you visit the in-laws and they don't have a safe?

Initially I was looking at "The Gunbox"

https://www.thegunbox.com

but then I came across Vaultek Safes:

https://vaulteksafe.com

This beauty is exactly what I'm looking for. I can secure it to my bed frame and have it on my night stand if I want to. Being portable, I can visit the in-laws (and secure the box to the bed) instead of leaving my blaster at home (where burglars might carry off my main safe). In addition, I love the keypad and biometric scanner. Yes, it is high tech with all the usual criticisms associated with that.

I see all kinds of applications where this little safe, or should I say "gun box", can make the life of firearm owners more comfortable. Pity it is not sold here in SA.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this little discovery with you guys.

Cheers,
    Jazzzchicken

PS. I will never use this thing as a standard firearm safe. When my gun is placed in it, I'll either be in the room or close by, usually sleeping within an arm's length.

User

Default Re: New discovery: Vaultek safes

I think they quite cool aswell. I’ve seen them on amazon but due to the weight I think uneconomical to order to SA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The cost to ship is way more than the cost of the unit. Never mind import taxes.

Rather stick it in the safe ;-)

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

I’ve seen similar ones touted as vehicle safes.
    i think i prefer your plans though!

User

I’ve got the Hornady version of this, I bought it at Safari Outdoor and use it as a storage device when sleeping. Really happy with mine and it gets taken with and used on holiday or visiting people, attached to the bed.

User

Hi LeftShot,

I might have to settle for something like yours if I can't get the Vaultek. I saw that there are people on eBay that will ship to South Africa, but the shipping cost... Eish!

Thanks for mentioning the Hornady box. I'll check out Safari Outdoor in the mean time.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jazzzchicken View Post
    Hi everybody,

Disclaimer: Not everyone will like this safe or my ideas below. This is fine.

Some time ago I was looking into a night stand safe that would complement my main firearm safe. Now, the idea is that my firearm is always either on me or in the main safe. But life is more complicated than that. For instance, what do you do with your gun while changing clothes or sleeping? Do you have it under your pillow or in one of those fancy holsters that you wedge between the mattress and base of your bed? What about when you visit the in-laws and they don't have a safe?

Initially I was looking at "The Gunbox"

https://www.thegunbox.com

but then I came across Vaultek Safes:

https://vaulteksafe.com

This beauty is exactly what I'm looking for. I can secure it to my bed frame and have it on my night stand if I want to. Being portable, I can visit the in-laws (and secure the box to the bed) instead of leaving my blaster at home (where burglars might carry off my main safe). In addition, I love the keypad and biometric scanner. Yes, it is high tech with all the usual criticisms associated with that.

I see all kinds of applications where this little safe, or should I say "gun box", can make the life of firearm owners more comfortable. Pity it is not sold here in SA.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this little discovery with you guys.

Cheers,
    Jazzzchicken

PS. I will never use this thing as a standard firearm safe. When my gun is placed in it, I'll either be in the room or close by, usually sleeping within an arm's length.
    Very nice, I think it's better than the Hornady one. 5k to import though... Yikes

User

I do not want to spoil your joy, but I have never found a pressing need for this type of "intermediate" safe. (Pistol is not on your person or locked in a proper safe, so somewhere in between the 2.) Take into account the legal requirements of a safe, i.e. minimum thickness and mounting requirements, and these seem even less attractive. A simple cable lock would be about as effective.

I have not had an issue with keeping my EDC gun under my personal control and within very easy reach 24/7 for the last 30+ years that I have been carrying. Why would anyone want to keep their EDC handgun away from immediate access (and control) for any reason, if not in a proper safe?

User

I use such safes in times when I travel, and I have a need to secure it to prevent accidental access for example to kids when I sleep. The safe remains safely secured by chain within my immediate vicinity.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I do not want to spoil your joy, but I have never found a pressing need for this type of "intermediate" safe. (Pistol is not on your person or locked in a proper safe, so somewhere in between the 2.) Take into account the legal requirements of a safe, i.e. minimum thickness and mounting requirements, and these seem even less attractive. A simple cable lock would be about as effective.

I have not had an issue with keeping my EDC gun under my personal control and within very easy reach 24/7 for the last 30+ years that I have been carrying. Why would anyone want to keep their EDC handgun away from immediate access (and control) for any reason, if not in a proper safe?
    Fair enough, A-R. We all have different needs, requirements, and likes. I know of an ex-policeman who sleeps with his Beretta under his pillow. Personally, I'd rather have my firearm on my night stand in a lock box so that the cat can't shoot me with my own gun. ;-) The quote below from BeeEm describes my concern perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeEm View Post
    I use such safes in times when I travel, and I have a need to secure it to prevent accidental access for example to kids when I sleep. The safe remains safely secured by chain within my immediate vicinity.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast