Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: New discovery: Vaultek safes

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Been there, done that. What I was saying is that where you have the choice, you should make the right choice. But it's your own ass on the line there...
    If it's so dangerous at your house, that you can't shower for 5 minutes, you should review your security.

When i shower at home, I listen, to the sounds, my dogs. If i hear anything suspect, I turn off the water and get out the shower. A gun is going to not be very effective when im wet, soaped up and in a nice little box with fuckal escape that some bg can take advantage of. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel, if you catch my drift.

My next security goal is to get outside beams on a separate panel that i can arm when im home. If it goes off, i know there is likely trouble and i will gain a few seconds to get ready.

I would rather have my gun next to my bed(which is two steps away from the shower), and get out the shower, and dry my feet and hands on the towel, than try to run down my tiled house wet , with a soaped up gun.
    Try running straight out the shower wet on tiles, I'm sure you will see why its a bad idea.

I'm no expert, but i'm sure all the exposure to the humidity that often is not great for your firearm ?

I think of security in a pragmatic way, taping pistols to your hands with duct tape, taking showers with your weapons, I don't know hey... Doesn't seem very practical to me.

I think the vault is sensible, if im sleeping over at family / friends and want to shower there, i can lock it up while i shower for two minutes. Kids that are inquisitive cannot harm themselves, adults that are stupid cannot harm themselves. If its that dangerous that i feel that i cant shower in 2 minutes safely , I will get the girlfriend to sit there with the peace maker on her lap while im in the shower.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zguy View Post
    If it's so dangerous at your house, that you can't shower for 5 minutes, you should review your security.
    Having read a few reports from fellow gunsiters and others, involving home invasions etc. I have come to the conclusion that there are very few home security setups that will hold a determined effort by a gang of BG's for 5 minutes. A fellow gunsiter was attacked while fully awake and dressed, and said it took about 10 seconds from the first warning sign to them knocking him down. His doors and gates were locked, b.t.w. but beams were still off, IIRC. See the thread elsewhere here on GS.

When i shower at home, I listen, to the sounds, my dogs. If i hear anything suspect, I turn off the water and get out the shower. A gun is going to not be very effective when im wet, soaped up and in a nice little box with fuckal escape that some bg can take advantage of. It will be like shooting fish in a barrel, if you catch my drift.
    My gun's effectiveness is not dependent on my clothing etc. It works even in bad conditions, but only If I can get to it in time.

My next security goal is to get outside beams on a separate panel that i can arm when im home. If it goes off, i know there is likely trouble and i will gain a few seconds to get ready.
    Gaining a few seconds can definitely save your life. Good idea that. Don't waste the few gained seconds by placing extra obstacles in your own way.

I would rather have my gun next to my bed(which is two steps away from the shower), and get out the shower, and dry my feet and hands on the towel, than try to run down my tiled house wet , with a soaped up gun.
    Try running straight out the shower wet on tiles, I'm sure you will see why its a bad idea.
    Definitely. But it was your bad idea to try running towards your locked up gun in an emergency, not mine.

I'm no expert, but i'm sure all the exposure to the humidity that often is not great for your firearm ?
    My EDC gets sweated on at least 250 days per year. With maintenance, the current one has survived for 27 years so far. A little humid, non-corrosive air should not make much difference. Well it has not so far.

I think of security in a pragmatic way, taping pistols to your hands with duct tape, taking showers with your weapons, I don't know hey... Doesn't seem very practical to me.
    There is a difference between practical and convenient. You may confusing the 2?

I think the vault is sensible, if im sleeping over at family / friends and want to shower there, i can lock it up while i shower for two minutes. Kids that are inquisitive cannot harm themselves, adults that are stupid cannot harm themselves. If its that dangerous that i feel that i cant shower in 2 minutes safely , I will get the girlfriend to sit there with the peace maker on her lap while im in the shower.
    We are fooling ourselves when we think we are safe anywhere, except if we are actually making that particular place safe ourselves.

User

Having read a few reports from fellow gunsiters and others, involving home invasions etc. I have come to the conclusion that there are very few home security setups that will hold a determined effort by a gang of BG's for 5 minutes. A fellow gunsiter was attacked while fully awake and dressed, and said it took about 10 seconds from the first warning sign to them knocking him down. His doors and gates were locked, b.t.w. but beams were still off, IIRC. See the thread elsewhere here on GS.

My gun's effectiveness is not dependent on my clothing etc. It works even in bad conditions, but only If I can get to it in time.

Gaining a few seconds can definitely save your life. Good idea that. Don't waste the few gained seconds by placing extra obstacles in your own way.

Definitely. But it was your bad idea to try running towards your locked up gun in an emergency, not mine.

My EDC gets sweated on at least 250 days per year. With maintenance, the current one has survived for 27 years so far. A little humid, non-corrosive air should not make much difference. Well it has not so far.

There is a difference between practical and convenient. You may confusing the 2?

We are fooling ourselves when we think we are safe anywhere, except if we are actually making that particular place safe ourselves.

You are correct, nothing will keep thugs out of your house, short of living in Fort Knox.
    There are, however, things that you can do to help yourself.

Physically securing your house is one. The cheapest gate and door at Builders is probably not the best bet.
    I've seen a video where a bunch of thugs tried to pry open a security gate with pry bars and all sorts of tools. They did this attack for about 2 /3 minutes if i recall. All they did was damage the paint.
    And this was a homemade gate, obviously well made.
    I've seen the DIY Xpanda style gates at Marko, these are for sure not up to the task.

Windows should also be secured well. At my house break in, they did not mange to break the burglar bars in the window, they had to resort to breaking the concrete around the anchor points to get in.
    This did not take 10 seconds.

The beams should go off before the thugs have started their penetration attempt, this will at least tell you there is something about to happen, before the idiots even start the penetration attempt.

If you can score 30 seconds, then you have plenty of time. although im sure in the moment, it will feel much less.

Besides being in the shower, the above will work when you are asleep.
    I would rather have my gun in my beside drawer/ holster where i / girlfriend / cat cannot have an AD.
    My long term plan is to have a CR speed type belt for carry at home that i can put on quick in my boxers.

I dont know about you, but i have no idea what im doing when im asleep, i would not like to try find out with a gun on the bed.
    This is also why i think taping a gun to your hand is madness, how are you sure in your sleep your fingers will not contract, or move around in a way where the trigger can get caught?

User

Anyway,

back on topic, I wouldn't mind getting a small one of these, wonder if we couldn't do a group buy of some sort?

User

I dont know about you, but i have no idea what im doing when im asleep, i would not like to try find out with a gun on the bed.
    This is also why i think taping a gun to your hand is madness, how are you sure in your sleep your fingers will not contract, or move around in a way where the trigger can get caught?
    I mentioned the duct tape scenario only to illustrate some of the extremes people will go to in a really dangerous situation. The people who make a living out of this, usually don't sleep all that well that they won't notice their fingers moving. But the primary principle still is to have the gun available immediately. Let's hope we do not need to go there.

Yes, trigger finger discipline can be an issue, especially if you are fast asleep. My solution is to keep the pistol in an old-fashioned cordura type holster. It keeps the trigger inaccessible, but the pistol is removeable with just a small movement by 1 hand. (The holster tends to stick to the bedding.) And by that time I'm usually wide awake already. I do recall checking it's position a few times during the night. This may be attributable to PTSD, but who cares, it is a beneficial "skill" in a security context.

The manageable dangers of having the pistol available immediately are in my mind far less serious than the dangers of getting attacked by a gang of violent, drug-fuelled BG's. This is easier for me since my wife and kids are all well-practised competitive shooters. I have no worries about them finding a loaded pistol anywhere, not that I would let any one out of my direct control anyway. Visitors are a different matter...

Basically, my motto is that my EDC pistol (and any other gun for that matter) should be either on my person or in a proper (SABS spec) secured safe. Any in-between scenario is an invitation to lose control of the gun, and will most likely be frowned upon by our legal sysem. For this reason alone, I do not regard electronic/biometric etc. safes as a viable option.

In the end, we all have to develop a practical (and moderately convenient) system of handling and storing our guns, that fits our specific conditions. There will always be huge differences between individual's needs. Always question your choices critically and play the "what if" game. If you think you have your security sorted, you may just get a nasty surprise. No device or system is failure-proof. There is always room for improvement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kev123 View Post
    Anyway,

back on topic, I wouldn't mind getting a small one of these, wonder if we couldn't do a group buy of some sort?
    Likewise

Banned

I do that in the morning, before getting up. But they are about 300mm away from the trigger, so I have never mixed them up in 32 years af carrying.

You should some day attend a good course to learn how to tell balls from a trigger...

I meant, if you had the gun taped to your hand and then tried scratching your balls

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I meant, if you had the gun taped to your hand and then tried scratching your balls
    Scrambled egg for breakfast?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kev123 View Post
    Anyway,

I do believe they are exhibiting at Huntex 2018. At least, that’s what the Huntex site says as of this morning.

User

Thanks for headsup

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast