Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which AR / Semi Auto and Caliber (Feral Pig Varminting)

Maybe speak to Bellum Arcus about a 458SOCOM. They had some in stock, they also brought in my 300blk.

User

What about the FN-Fal in the for sale section? Cheap enough to nearly become a "bakkie" rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    What about the FN-Fal in the for sale section? Cheap enough to nearly become a "bakkie" rifle.
    Good choice overall, but there is one issue to consider. The FAL is notoriously hard on optics, due to the way the breech block carrier stops against the rear of the receiver. They are not reliable with buffers either. If you need to mount an electronic NV or thermal sighting device, it may not last on an FAL.

A 223 cal AR would be the softest recoiling of the lot, affording you the best chance of an electronic NV device lasting for more than a few shots.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdvisagie View Post
    Where in SA?
    I believe it has only recently been released so might take a few months before we see it here.

Question is - Do you wait for the right gun, or licence the wrong gun now just because it's available?

User

What about a Ruger 44Mag semi auto? I think they call it Deerfield. Five shot tube fed and others had magazines. They come up so now and then 2nd hand

Myself I'd go with 300blk silenced with something like Sierra Gameking 200gr SBT. Go subsonic, keep it quiet and get more rounds in.

User

Problem with handgun calibers,even 357 or 44 is that they just poke holes in animals which take a while to die. This means a follow up session on pigs at night because while they are dying,they are also running. Add multiple wounded pigs scattering all over the show and the situation becomes impossible.

Heavy for caliber subsonic rifle bullets have the same effect unless you brain or spine them.I have shot a few bushpig at night with a .458 using 420gr bullets loaded sub sonic and while the penetration is good,they just do not put the pig down on the spot.

User

Handgun bullets do not generally have the same destructive affect that rifle bullets do, as Pre-64 said. However, from rifle barrels the 44Mag with 240-250gn JHP bullets should be a little more effective.

Having experienced the effect of 44 and 45 calibre subsonic flat-nosed bullets on bushpig and warthog, I have very little confidence in hunting pigs at night with a 300BLK loaded to subsonic velocities. The bullets will just go straight through and leave a tiny hole. Deadly on the long run maybe, but you will recover very few pigs. I see a local bulletmaker is now advertising expanding subsonic rifle bullets. They should work better.

Then we also have the typical subsonic trajectory to work with. Not a good idea at night where range estimation is a serious challenge.

Scrap the idea of shooting pigs at night with subsonic loads, except maybe if the bullets are really big and you can always get close.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    a local bulletmaker is now advertising expanding subsonic rifle bullets.
    In the 300 blk thread on this forum, another user reported:

" ... Peregrine Monolithics ... have made a 188gr subsonic bullet specifically for 300 BLK. The petals turn back perfectly in ballistic gel medium at subsonic velocities. "

User

I'm not sure about subsonic 300blk, supersonic with a vmax or similar...yes.

My my reason is in subsonic form it has similar ballistics to a 45acp. Not sure if that is enough vooma to penetrate deeply enough at longer ranges.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast