Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Which AR / Semi Auto and Caliber (Feral Pig Varminting)

Hey everyone,

I've been involved with eradicating some feral pigs. I've mostly been using bolt / lever rifles and shotguns. However, a semi auto will be much more effective.

We have used 223 semi's, they work but isn't effective enough on the large boars (180-200kg beasts). 7.62 NATO semi's have the punch required, but have allot of recoil and to stay on target is a challenge.

Mostly shots range between 50-150m max. Long range is not required but accuracy is. The rifle will be fitted with night optic and suppressor. I'm thinking the AK round (7.62x39) will be a good balance? Ammo readily available as well?

Which brand AR's / AK's is available in SA that is known for accuracy? And is there any other caliber to consider. Not looking to spend more then R20k. Basically good value for money semi-auto.

Requirements:

1) Accuracy
    2) Effective killing power with manageable recoil
    3) Caliber somewhere between a .223 - 7.62 NATO

Any input will be appreciated.

Please guys, I don't want to start any "off topic" debates wrt to ethics and legalities. These eradication activities take place 100% legal (this is not regarded as "hunting with semi-auto" - which is illegal we know) and is funded by a nationally funded conservation project. These pigs destroy local wildlife and need to go. That's all I'm going to say regarding that.

User

Default Re: Which AR / Semi Auto and Caliber (Feral Pig Varminting)

What about 300 Blackout?

This seems to have become a very popular cartridge in the USA for feral pigs, from what I've seen online & could be almost perfect for your requirements.

Paul from TacShac speaks highly of NEA rifles and the following rifle is also in your budget:

http://www.davesheer.com/300-blackout/

User

From my own small bit of AK playing, I don't think the gun/caliber combo is really what you're looking for. Ammo isn't really THAT widely available (sure you can buy a can of milsurp to last you a long time, but that'll cost you...) and it's going to be FMJ anyway. So I'd disregard AK and 7.62x39...

people will jump up and shout "300 BLK FTMFW!!!!" but from the bit I've read on here it's not the easiest thing to load for. My perception is also that the gun is going to be more expensive than the equivalent AR in 5.56.

which leaves us with... an AR in 5.56. Given your requirements, I do think this remains the ideal. Get past the terminal ballistics limitations by loading strong mono bullets. AR's generally have tight twists, so you shouldn't have stabilization issues, even for the heavier monos. Low to negligible recoil, so you can place multiple shots accurately, and your distances are short, so you don't need superduper BC. I don't know if someone makes a heavy flatbase mono, but that would be ideal...

Banned

Most sporting type rifles are chambered in military calibres: 223, 308, 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout.

That limits your choice a bit because it seems that you need something like an AR in 243.

Have you given thought to a regular hunting rifle in semi-auto or lever action? Or do you need the larger magazine capacity of the sporting rifles?

User

Thanks for input so far guys. Wrt sporting rifles, I mainly need more rapid fire without losing sight of target. Capacity is also an issue yes, more then 4-5 rounds will be advantageous.

Banned

My guess is that this will end in an expensive rifle.

Have you considered an AR in 458 Socom?

Saiga makes hunting rifles on the AK platform.

Maybe an AR in 300 Blackout is your answer.

User

The need is a higher rate of fire than a bolt action, lower recoil to stay on target, killing power in order to take down large pigs.
    What you do is get an AR in 7.62x51, you fit a good suppressor, and you load either 110gr Barnes TTSX or TSX.

You will sit with large wound channels, efficient penetration, very low recoil to stay on target and comfortable shooting, a very broad MPBR compared to blackout stuff, job done.

User

I was going to ask if recoil/losing sight of a hog really is a big issue with a 7.62x51 which i think would be a good choice for your needs[caliber wise].

If so,i was going to suggest a really good suppressor and go down to 110gr monos or 130gr conventional bullets.

If you thought this would still be an issue then i would suggest a 5.56 with heavy for caliber bullets.

But..i see i am only echoing Messor's and Pirate's thoughts.

Just as an aside...does muzzle flash with night vision not hamper a fast follow up shot as far as your vision in concerned?

User

An SLR chambered in 6.5 Grendel.

If you seek to do the job without noise, I would go the .300 Blackout route.

I am new to the site but what about something that shoots 9mm ? There are a few like the berreta storm or the chipla (I think that’s how it’s spelt) . I am sure 150 would be within its range. Other option maybe the 357/38 lever actions ? At least ammo would be cheaper

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast