Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Which AR / Semi Auto and Caliber (Feral Pig Varminting)

I'll admit up front that I'm a big 308/7,62x51 fan. Considering the size a pig can attain, this would be my first choice. The downside are recoil (recovery time) and ammo cost. Keep in mind that a SLR will most likely throw those expensive cases into the thickets. Berdan-primed (steel cased?) milsurp ammo solves that issue, but usually comes with FMJ bullets that are not as effective. Some recoil-control measures might be usefull. A supressor with external brake might help, but add weight and bulk.

Next down the line is the 7,62x39. Inexpensive, non reloadable ammo is available, but also loaded with FMJ's. The S&B JSP ammo is an option, but the nice reloadable cases will still get lost. Maybe get something that can accomodate a case-catcher? The AK-platform has some difficulty in getting it scoped, as the scope mounts are not all very sturdy and cheek weld becomes an issue. Pig hunting usually requires a rifle-sight combo that can take a few knocks.

In 223/5,56x45 you have many options in guns, but very little effectiveness in the ammo. I would only consider premium expanding bullets like a Barnes X or a similar monolithic (or bonded) version. Even then, it is a marginal calibre on a big boar. Shot placement will be critical, meaning you loose much of the advantage of a fast shooting ability. You might still want to catch the cases.

User

Thanks again for the feedback guys, some good stuff coming out. I'll try feedback and answer some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    The need is a higher rate of fire than a bolt action, lower recoil to stay on target, killing power in order to take down large pigs.
    What you do is get an AR in 7.62x51, you fit a good suppressor, and you load either 110gr Barnes TTSX or TSX.
    I do reload so like the sound of that. And yes, that is the requirement, higher rate of fire, lower recoil to stay on target, killing power.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    An SLR chambered in 6.5 Grendel.
    Sounds like a good option. Will have a look at the ballistics. 6.5mm bullet should leave a nice wound channel.

Quote Originally Posted by WCC View Post
    Question is how many pigs are you shooting at, all at once or rapid succession iro your rapid fire requirement? And at night with optics? Are you shooting over bait? After the first shot, the pigs will be running and you will have a difficult time picking up your target with optics, at night, no matter what the recoil.
    We have shot at sounders of 50+ pigs. We use night vision and thermal scopes, you can see them when they run. With thermal scopes very well actually (youtube type stuff). I used a Ruger mini 14 once when we stalk 3 smallish pigs on a open field. We got all 3 three of them. With a bolt gun it'll be allot more difficult.

Pic of a 223 Barnes TSX bullet which got extracted from a 100kg boar.
    Problem is, even with a good double lung shot on a large pig (120kg+), they run a long way when using a 223 round (soft point bullets). Looking for pigs at night is not fun. I basically want the pig to go down as soon as possible without using a overly recoiling SLR. 223 rounds take down bushpigs no problem, however they don't grow as big as these feral pigs.

PS. Please show some pics of those 180-200kg pigs.
    Here's one 200 kilo boytjie.. These size boars develop a very tough shield plate. That shield is a challenge for a very fast moving light projective, like a 223 bullet.

IMG_0458_cropped.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    A semi-auto is a must when encountering a sounder to get a decent amount of kills (5 to 10 pigs). 223 with 60gr vmax works like a charm.
    Have you taken some big boars with that load? I know shot placement is key, but how long do they take to go down?

User

Quote Originally Posted by jdvisagie View Post
    Thanks again for the feedback guys, some good stuff coming out. I'll try feedback and answer some questions.

I do reload so like the sound of that. And yes, that is the requirement, higher rate of fire, lower recoil to stay on target, killing power.

Sounds like a good option. Will have a look at the ballistics. 6.5mm bullet should leave a nice wound channel.

We have shot at sounders of 50+ pigs. We use night vision and thermal scopes, you can see them when they run. With thermal scopes very well actually (youtube type stuff). I used a Ruger mini 14 once when we stalk 3 smallish pigs on a open field. We got all 3 three of them. With a bolt gun it'll be allot more difficult.

Problem is, even with a good double lung shot on a large pig (120kg+), they run a long way when using a 223 round (soft point bullets). Looking for pigs at night is not fun. I basically want the pig to go down as soon as possible without using a overly recoiling SLR. 223 rounds take down bushpigs no problem, however they don't grow as big as these feral pigs.

Here's one 200 kilo boytjie.. These size boars develop a very tough shield plate. That shield is a challenge for a very fast moving light projective, like a 223 bullet.

IMG_0458_cropped.jpg

Have you taken some big boars with that load? I know shot placement is key, but how long do they take to go down?
    No. The pigs in our area is much smaller than those. Those are massive (one in photo). Go AR10 for those bad boys.

User

Jdvisagie what thermals do you use currently?

User

Except for the really big brutes I think the 300 BLK would do very well. Recoil management is a non issue. With a AR15 platform and a suppressor you can shoot anything from 100gn right through to 230gn 30 cal bullets. Optic mounting is a breeze. Brass can be made from readily available 223/5.56 cases. Add an off the shelf doppie catcher and you are good to go.

In your range of 50-150m the 300 BLK is well within it's effective range. You can also change between light or heavy loading's without having to make any adjustments to the gun. Accuracy is good as well.

Have a 308 bolt action available for when the big ones are around but for the most of your work the the 300 would be very effective and economical.

As for price. Everything but the barrel is the same as a 223/5.56 AR so it could work out well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Jdvisagie what thermals do you use currently?
    Pulsar apex xd50a and Pulsar Quantum handhelds.

User

Thanks for the input guys, think I'll go with the AR10 platform. Will start making some phone calls.

User

You need to look at what is readily available in SA. Sure, the 300 Blackout and 458 Socom rounds sounds like good options, but remember, very few AR manufactures actually do rifles chambered for those rounds, and the ones that do, are the expensive ones. Something in 308/7.62 might be your best bet, especially if you load your rounds to reduce recoil.

User

User

Where in SA?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast