Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Which AR / Semi Auto and Caliber (Feral Pig Varminting)

OP indicated earlier on that he decided on AR10 platform. Which in my mind is the perfect solution for his scenario. I own a DPMS REPR 7,62 which will be just right, especially looking at the original intended purpose of the rifle. Unfortunately not in the R20k bracket.

Talking about non-AR platforms, I would've used my 45/70 Govt. Hunted everything up to Eland with it. Slow heavy bullet and surprisingly accurate out of a lever action gun. One in the chamber and four in the tube give you 5 quick shots. Despite the recoil, the very quick lever-reload makes up for quick target acquisition. Reloading the tube is a PITA though.

Back in the days, not even the doubles could keep up with it at club shoots (big bore), and that even taking accuracy into count. Love that gun!

This is a situation that is just crying for a 300 Blackout, with subsonic 200gr round noses

User

I seem to be late to this topic. I do believe I have something to ad. a While back my wife sat me down and said she would be satisfied if I only hunted three times a week. I reluctantly agreed. Now this hunts were anything from trekbokke culling, to jackal and wart-hogs. But mostly wart-hogs. The hogs are a devastating problem in the mielie lande. Their damage are horrendous. Now I have used anything from a .22;223;243;270;308;300mag and 416 Rigby. I have also loaded all imaginable bullet weights in these calibers. The one truth I have seen is that speed kills. The fastest you can hit a pig the better. You need the bullet to fragment and "explode", causing as much as possible damage to vital organs, or the pigs ability to run. I have have had more success from an AR 5,56 loaded with 40grn v-max, than with a 300mag loaded with 220grn. One of my best combo's are a 308 125grn SSt @ 3100fs(bolt action). Now here I need to interject an observation. I have seen many posts here, advocating an AR-10 or a R1/FnFal, using 110-125grn bullets. Either solids like Barnes or varmint tipe like the v-max/SST. While this train of thought is sound, the problem is that these platforms experience cycling failures, due to the sharply pointed bullets, of these lighter 308 bullets. The Barnes ttsx and the sst's have sharp polymer tips. These products, tend to cause jams in the 7,62 semi-auto platforms. Test it and you will see what I am talking about.

Now to what I suggest, of that I have used, I have had the best results from a AR-15 5,56 with 40grn V-max @ 3050fs. However I have had the privilege to hunt with a fellow Ar-15 owner, who used a custom built AR-15 chambered in 243win. Using 87vmax @ 3100fs with silencer. What this rifle hit it killed. Pig related. This combo ensured time on target for follow up shots, being able to call a shot(low recoil), and devastating results from the speed and the varmint bullet. when hunting/exterminating pests, it is seldom possible to judge distance(not enough time), one more reason to subscribe to high velocity. Where high velocity provides, more leeway for distance misjudgment.

While 300 black-out; heavy 308 bullets or 300mags will kill a pig dead, they are not conducive, to the the question and situation, described in the opening post.

Having said all this, it is an awesome site, seeing a mielie farmer, that knows his bolt action rifle, and does cycling very quickly, taking down wart-hogs escaping his mielie lande.

Once again 243 in AR-15- silenced, with no cycling problems. With as quick as possible bullet

Quote Originally Posted by 300H&H View Post
    I seem to be late to this topic. I do believe I have something to ad. a While back my wife sat me down and said she would be satisfied if I only hunted three times a week. I reluctantly agreed. Now this hunts were anything from trekbokke culling, to jackal and wart-hogs. But mostly wart-hogs. The hogs are a devastating problem in the mielie lande. Their damage are horrendous. Now I have used anything from a .22;223;243;270;308;300mag and 416 Rigby. I have also loaded all imaginable bullet weights in these calibers. The one truth I have seen is that speed kills. The fastest you can hit a pig the better. You need the bullet to fragment and "explode", causing as much as possible damage to vital organs, or the pigs ability to run. I have have had more success from an AR 5,56 loaded with 40grn v-max, than with a 300mag loaded with 220grn. One of my best combo's are a 308 125grn SSt @ 3100fs(bolt action). Now here I need to interject an observation. I have seen many posts here, advocating an AR-10 or a R1/FnFal, using 110-125grn bullets. Either solids like Barnes or varmint tipe like the v-max/SST. While this train of thought is sound, the problem is that these platforms experience cycling failures, due to the sharply pointed bullets, of these lighter 308 bullets. The Barnes ttsx and the sst's have sharp polymer tips. These products, tend to cause jams in the 7,62 semi-auto platforms. Test it and you will see what I am talking about.Now to what I suggest, of that I have used, I have had the best results from a AR-15 5,56 with 40grn V-max @ 3050fs. However I have had the privilege to hunt with a fellow Ar-15 owner, who used a custom built AR-15 chambered in 243win. Using 87vmax @ 3100fs with silencer. What this rifle hit it killed. Pig related. This combo ensured time on target for follow up shots, being able to call a shot(low recoil), and devastating results from the speed and the varmint bullet. when hunting/exterminating pests, it is seldom possible to judge distance(not enough time), one more reason to subscribe to high velocity. Where high velocity provides, more leeway for distance misjudgment.While 300 black-out; heavy 308 bullets or 300mags will kill a pig dead, they are not conducive, to the the question and situation, described in the opening post. Having said all this, it is an awesome site, seeing a mielie farmer, that knows his bolt action rifle, and does cycling very quickly, taking down wart-hogs escaping his mielie lande.Once again 243 in AR-15- silenced, with no cycling problems. With as quick as possible bullet
    243win can’t be loaded in any AR15. Must read AR10. VMAX 110g works fine in my SR25/AR308

User

so the the custom AR 15 in 243 that we use doesnt exist? it is all in my head? if this combo AR 10 and v0max works, then you will have many good hunts with it. I added what I could out of extensive experience with hogs.

so the the custom AR 15 in 243 that we use doesnt exist? it is all in my head? if this combo AR 10 and v0max works, then you will have many good hunts with it. I added what I could out of extensive experience with hogs.
    😉

User

I think the reason that the 243 doesn't fit the AR15 platform is that the cartridge overall length is 10mm longer than a 223. The magwel is to small.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5