Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Default Suggestion: collecting rifles in 9x53R

Whilst reading up on the 9x53R cartridge I saw that several rifles have been produced for this cartridge.

It also means that this is an opportunity if someone wants to collect on the theme: Russian Hunting rifles in calibre 9x53R.

" In Soviet Union, several rifles were designed for this cartridge: self-loading carbine "Medved'" ("Медведь"), bolt-action carbine "Los'" ("Лось"), TOZ-55 "Zubr" (ТОЗ-55 "Зубр"), MTs-30-09 (МЦ-30-09) and MTs-110-09 (МЦ-110-09).In*Russian Federation, several rifles were designed for this cartridge: IJ-94 "Express" (ИЖ-94 "Экспресс");[7]*"Berkut-3", "Saiga-9" (it was produced since 2001 until 2005) andVPO-103*(produced since 2005).[2] "

Source: Wikipedia "9x53mmR"

User

Default Re: Suggestion: collecting rifles in 9x53R

Let me make a parallel suggestion. When you choose a theme, select one where you have a reasonable chance of finding rifles which fit. Otherwise, you will soon become discouraged!

Banned

There is a good reason why I made the suggestion: the collectors I know are really dedicated and often they love something exquisite and out of the ordinary. Hunting rifles in 9x53R are made by Saiga, whose products are available in SA. If there is an agent for Saiga, there is contact to Russia which theoretically means that rifles from other producers should be obtainable as well.It should therefore be possible to order a rifle from the factory via an agent or dealer, then go hunt animals with some factory ammunition as prescribed on the packets: FMJ for animals up to 250kg, and SP for animals up to 500kg.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    then go hunt animals with some factory ammunition as prescribed on the packets: FMJ for animals up to 250kg, and SP for animals up to 500kg.
    This makes no sense to me.

Banned

It does not make sense to me either, but for some reason it does to the Russian engineers who designed it. I have come to respect Russian engineering for reasons like the AK 47, Mig, "Dushka", Hind etc.

Proof of the 9x53R cartridge designation:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/9%C3%9753mmR

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...9x53r-box/8570

User

Realistically, this should perform somewhere between 358Win and 35 Whelen, but probably closer to the former... from that viewpoint, regardless of what the designers say, I doubt hunting game with FMJ is a great idea...

User

Just a thought but have you done any research on where you can get hold of ammunition? It's great if you can put in a special order on the rifles but ammunition might be a problem..

We have a 5,6 x 57mm and ammunition is a problem, we can only get brass and reload our own ammo but no factory loaded stuff and for the brass we have to put in a special order

Banned

Not arguing any of the mentioned objections. Finding ammunition ... maybe our previous president or a local Russian mafia connection can help?

Folks, when regarding it from a purist/collector's point of view it makes sense to go through a whole lot of trouble to get or do that something special. Reloading for this calibre should also be doable, although with some effort to have cases and dies made.

It might be unwise to hunt with FMJ's. Yet we have an 1883 black powder hunt where hunting is conducted with open sighted Martini Henry rifles and lead bullets.

User

If you can get them and you can afford to collect these then by all means go for it! You might be the only person in SA to have that specific collection otherwise one of very few people

Banned

Hahaha. Maybe one day when I'm grown up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast