Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    “A knifeless man is a lifeless man “An old Norse proverb.
    So true ! I carry a small Bear Grylls as a 'Tool' knife. It's light an practical for cutting something small. Today I used mine to cut open a packet of primers that the Saleman at the Gunshop duly wrapped in sticky tape

User

Default Re: Uses of EDC knives in daily life ?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Ok so answer me this.

Is your EDC knife a tool or a carry(self defense) knife?

If it is a tool then use it, if it's for carrying purposes, I would not.
    To me, it's both. I've heard a few times that you shouldn't use your carry (SD) knife around the office and such, but I'm unsure as to why. IMO using that same knife seems like a brilliant idea, since I know by now exactly where it is, how to get it out of my pocket and deployed in hand in a relatively quick time. It's always sharp, maintained regularly and never in a place I can't get to it quickly.

EDIT: I fully understand if your SD knife is a karambit style fixed blade in a kydex holster under your shirt, but for someone like me who just carries a folder with a half-OK blade?

Banned

The idea of not using a dedicated SD knife is to keep it in tiptop shape for the day we hope never comes.

it is basically the same idea of having a sport pistol and not using an edc pistol too much.

User

Honestly I think the chances of using a knife for SD are pretty slim.

I’m probably more likely to smash someone with my torch than try stab them.

My knife gets used for utility purposes every day.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The idea of not using a dedicated SD knife is to keep it in tiptop shape for the day we hope never comes.

it is basically the same idea of having a sport pistol and not using an edc pistol too much.
    Yet you would take your EDC pistol and shoot it often, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Knives can be sharpened.

Using it is practice, especially for deployment.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yet you would take your EDC pistol and shoot it often, no?
    Yup, practice with the edc pistol and maintain it, but the larger round count goes for the sporting pistol. The edc pistol should be as reliable as can be.The trouble with the SD knife is that it can get blunted from usage within seconds, and then be sub optimal for defence purposes when needed. If a SD knife is just used for stabbing a blunter edge is not as important. But if one uses it for slashing a finely honed edge does have its advantages. The knife steels used for affordable commercial knives (up to R1000?) can lose a razor sharp edge quite easily from regular usage.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Honestly I think the chances of using a knife for SD are pretty slim.

I’m probably more likely to smash someone with my torch than try stab them.

My knife gets used for utility purposes every day.
    Yeah, I carry a few edc, but surely hope I never have to use them in a knife fight.
    As my brother's wife confirm the saying 'The loser in a knife fight dies in the street, the winner in hospital" and she is an Doc at Baragwanath.

User

When I still was a primary school kid, my Grandfather gifted me a small Swiss army knife. I carried it everywhere, including to school. Most of my classmates also had knives, ranging from Swiss to Okapi. Everyone regarded this as normal. Even the teachers sometimes borrowed our knives if their's were not available. Imagine doing that now...

Nowadays I carry 2 knives. Ok, my Leatherman may be technically a knife, having 2 cutting blades, but I use the other tools more. I also carry a smallish folder that can easily be opened with one hand. It is intended as an SD knife, but gets used regularly for cutting anything from LDPE pipe to biltong and even removing staples. All this use tends to dull the edge quickly, but I know how to sharpen it. The frequent use should also help me to get it and open it quickly in an emergency. It is a fairly cheap model, so losing it will not be a serious concern.

I did for a while carry a Spyderco Civilian. The replacement value of the knife, and lack of utility, made me change over to a more utilitatrian model.

If you want to carry a knife for SD purposes, you should attend at least a basic knife-fighting/defence course. Knowing how to use a knife effectively, and learning the dangers posed to you by a knife-wielding BG is a big eye-opener.

A knife can never replace a handgun for SD purposes. However, a handgun can never compare to a knife in certain scenarios. In very close range encounters, a handgun can become cumbersome and is easily rendered useless. Here an expertly-handled knife could have the advantage. Like any martial art, knife fighting has to be learned and practised. Buying a fancy knife does not make anyone a knife fighter.

As always, skills are still more important than the tools.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    learning the dangers posed to you by a knife-wielding BG is a big eye-opener.
    These lessons I've seen happening are truly terrifying. I've seen such terrible wounds that I would actually prefer being shot than handled by a BG with a knife. A sharp blade in the wrong (or right) hands can be seriously terrible.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast