Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just checking!

User

Default Just checking!

Situation is as follows: I have let one of my handguns go to my son and he has applied for the license. This has been approved and he is now obviously waiting for his license card, which lately seems to take a while. As I understand it I can use this firearm up untill he receives his license card and I then hand over the firearm to him. Is this correct or will I be in a spot of trouble if found in possession of this firearm, on my way to the range, for example?

Default Re: Just checking!

I believe you will be in some trouble as it's on his name now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    I believe you will be in some trouble as it's on his name now?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    This is the very thing that has me slightly worried. Obviously I have a license card for this FA, but if it is checked on the system it may show that I do not have a license. On the other hand my son may not have the FA in his possession untill he has the card in hand, or else it would have been possible to collect from a dealer once your license has been approved. One of the many strange issues in the FCA.

User

A gun shop will only hand the FA over when shown your licence. I ASSUME that the same will apply to an individual.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco L View Post
    A gun shop will only hand the FA over when shown your licence. I ASSUME that the same will apply to an individual.
    My reasoning as well, but you know what they say about "assume"!

User

Bottom line : !!! Ignorance of the law is no excuse , fact !!

User

Leave it in the safe until he gets his card. The firearm isn't yours and you're not licensed to use it anymore.

EDIT: Oh, and him not having the card yet doesn't mean that the firearm isn't licensed to him. The gun is on his name, not yours, it's as simple as that. Ownership of the card or not doesn't indicate anything, once that license is approved at CFR that firearm is off the previous owner's name and that previous owner may not legally use it. Technically he also may not be in possession of it, but alas, our wonderful FCA is a bit shit in that department.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Leave it in the safe until he gets his card. The firearm isn't yours and you're not licensed to use it anymore.

EDIT: Technically he also may not be in possession of it, but alas, our wonderful FCA is a bit shit in that department.
    Why may he not use it? As the FA is now registered to him, and he is the lawful and registered owner. Should he now possess/carry/use the FA with merely a printout as proof of his licence would this not put him in a similar position as someone who's licence is stolen?

Agreed on the FCA being shit in general but specifically regarding this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HJordaan View Post
    Why may he not use it? As the FA is now registered to him, and he is the lawful and registered owner. Should he now possess/carry/use the FA with merely a printout as proof of his licence would this not put him in a similar position as someone who's licence is stolen?

Agreed on the FCA being shit in general but specifically regarding this.
    I meant as in the old owner may not be in possession of it, not the new one. This is just one more point where the FCA is blind.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I meant as in the old owner may not be in possession of it, not the new one. This is just one more point where the FCA is blind.
    Ahhh, I read it as in the son my not have it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast