Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Always wondered what's the impact on my gun

Friends..I've always wondered what impact my routine has on my gun?..rack slide to put one in the chamber in the morning...take out mag at night...release the one up ....reinsert the same round in mag and dry fire. What impact on mag,1st round and gun through this repetition? Glock I should say.i don't keep gun on bedside.i live in a place that has 2 biometric access points, 2 fixed security guards and the normal door and gate barrier together with constant camera monitoring, hence me not being close to gun at night.interested in your thoughts on the impact on the gun, mag and 1st round

User

Default Re: Always wondered what's the impact on my gun

Keep blaster loaded. Keep blaster hidden close at hand.

User

Why are you doing this?
    First rule of a gun fight - Have a gun. Why you choose to put the gun away is up to you. But remember that you are always safe, until you aren't.

Any way getting to your routine. The biggest problems with your routine is:
    Bullet setback. Repeated cambering of a round will eventually lead to bullet setback.
    There is also a chance, small as it may be, still a chance of primer desensitization which could lead to a failure to fire.
    The biggest problem for me is familiarity. Routinely loading and unloading your gun leads to fatigue and eventually you may lose focus or be distracted and miss something or worse hit something.

Dryfiring at one cycle per day will have your gun last long, very long. It is a non issue.

User

There no logical reason to do what you’re doing

There are plenty reasons to keep it loaded and handy.

Change your bad habits.

User

Damn. I’ve been doing exactly the same thing every single afternoon when I get home from work.

Need to unlearn the bad habit of unloading, dry firing and then loading it again.

Definitely a bad habit one needs to unlearn!!

I hear you guys.thanks.i thought as much on the first round.never considered the fatigue and error factor.
    Hmmm...i need to adjust this routine.My new holster now does give me the confidence to store gun appropriately.its not an issue of access to its storage I. E family accessing safe or when stored at night. It's rather a case of remora not comforting me to store with one in the chamber prior to new holster.
    Thanks guys.

Out of interest. Is your routine always one in the chamber even if gun is stored away in safe? Say when you are flying or travel that precludes carry.
    Maybe a noob question but I'm sure your advice will help others

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Don’t store it in the safe at night. Keep it in one up. Don’t fiddle with it.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
    Damn. I’ve been doing exactly the same thing every single afternoon when I get home from work.

Need to unlearn the bad habit of unloading, dry firing and then loading it again.

Definitely a bad habit one needs to unlearn!!
    Glad I'm not the only one...but I kinda knew the routine was problematic but just didn't address it . learning every day

User

Your "routine" makes no sense at all, my gun is in the same condition all the time - 1 Up.

User

Quote Originally Posted by zaheer View Post
    Out of interest. Is your routine always one in the chamber even if gun is stored away in safe? Say when you are flying or travel that precludes carry.
    Maybe a noob question but I'm sure your advice will help others
    Provided it is a section 13, leave it loaded in the safe, it makes the other guns feel safer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast