Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Firearm barrel cleaning - is it necessary?

The issue is not so much the cleaning. It is the corrosion protection you should worry about.

Most handgun barrels wil almost never need to be cleaned, to ensure functioning and accuracy. The fouling does not build up much in the barrel. The action is another story, there it will eventually build up to become a problem, but that will take several thousand rounds. Lubrication should happen more frequently. Cleaning it before periodic lubrication will not hurt. Protection against corrosion (rust!) should be considered. Climatic and carry conditions will influence the onset of corrosion damage.

Same with shotgun barrels. They do accumulate some wad fouling. The gas system on gas-operated semi-outos needs more maintenance. Actions need to be lubed, irrespective of type, to ensure smooth function and prevent wear. All of them need to to be protected from corrosion, before the barrels get pitted.

Rifles are a totally different matter. Rifle barrels tend to accumulate bullet jacket and carbon fouling over time and this needs to be cleaned out periodically to preserve top accuracy. They also need corrosion protection, even the stainless ones. (Stainless steel will stain less, but is not totally rust proof.)

In all types, a quick wipe with a lightly oiled patch will protect the metal from corrosion, but that is not to be confused with cleaning. This will need to be done more frequently in coastal areas and humid conditions.

User

I'm like Pre-64, although I don't shoot nearly as much, once or twice a month maybe. I just cannot get myself to put a firearm away without properly cleaning it,
    I think it might be an "old oomie" thing!

User

Quote Originally Posted by matswane View Post
    I'm like Pre-64, although I don't shoot nearly as much, once or twice a month maybe. I just cannot get myself to put a firearm away without properly cleaning it,
    For some of us, a hard-nosed Corporal or Sergeant instilled that habit...

User

Quote Originally Posted by matswane View Post
    Me too. It has to be something with our generation.

User

Thank you very much for the info everyone, Ill get a rod to clean the shotgun barrel from where i bought my gun. The Beretta came with a cleaning kit so thats in order :)

Get a Boresnake. You can take it anywhere.
    Cleaning rod sometimes a hassle.
    Just pull Boresnake through put some oil or Hoppes 9 at rear part and pull through.
    Seconds to clean Shotgun barrel.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Get a Boresnake. You can take it anywhere.
    Cleaning rod sometimes a hassle.
    Just pull Boresnake through put some oil or Hoppes 9 at rear part and pull through.
    Seconds to clean Shotgun barrel.
    Thank you for the information ill take a look at it when i visit the supplier where i bought my gun.
    Is there also a steel wire brush tool for shotguns like there is for hand guns and is this also good to have?

User

Armed1..it is a bronze brush,not steel.

Yes,it is very much a requirement. If you look down the shotgun barrel after fireing a box or 2 of shells,you will see marks left in the bore from what looks like the wad 'skidding' down the barrel. These marks require a pass with the bronze brush to remove.

This brush will not harm your barrel in any way.

User

Hi pre 64

Yes you are right it is a bronze brush.
    Thank you for the information, I definitely want to get one.
    So far I have only fired 5 shots with my shotgun however i would like to clean the barrel inside.
    I already wiped the outside with oily wipes.

I find the boresnake a handy quick cleaner. But nothing beats a rod, patches and a brush to really clean your barrels. I still use both but feel the rod still cleans the best

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast