Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Firearm barrel cleaning - is it necessary?

While we are at the boresnake. It is a wonderfull tool for a quick clean. It also has it's dangers. The snake tends to accumulate abrasive particles over time. Every time you pull it through your barrel, it gets abraded a little. If you now pull it out with even a little bit of misalignment at the muzzle, you erode away one side of the muzzle. Humans being creatures of habit, you will likely erode away the same side of the crown every time. Just few passes and your rifle's fine accuracy goes to pot. Handguns and shotguns are not that accurate to begin with, so the damage won't be so obvious.

So, if you are going to use it (we all do) remember to wash it regularly and pull it perfectly straight.

User

It just feels good to take a shiny cleen Hopps no9 smelling rifle or shotgun from the safe.

For me cleaning is fun, and guns get returned clean to the safe if time allows to clean them after a session.

Its also very satisfying looking down glistening over&under barrels than looking down that tube staring at some wad skid marks. If you can, clean that shottie every time, easier to clean out wadding now than in a years time. This is for high volume bird/clay guns.

Also I have not heard about guns failing due to being to clean.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

I would second the boresnake. I have a shotgun rod but never use it. I'll just mention that normal shotshells leave relatively little in the way of stuff that actually *needs* regular cleaning, but in my experience, slugs leave huge skid marks and lead trails (relatively speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Get a Boresnake. You can take it anywhere.
    Cleaning rod sometimes a hassle.
    Just pull Boresnake through put some oil or Hoppes 9 at rear part and pull through.
    Seconds to clean Shotgun barrel.
    Hi Armed1
    As Shooty said.
    Boresnakes.
    I got all of mine (12 gauge, .300 and .22) from Dave Sheer Guns in Johannesburg.
    Regards.
    Keith.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3