Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: The 308 and 150gr bullets

Ok, so if you are a beginner, and worry about this or that, then listen up, and someone can sticky this for future use. We debate a lot of things here, because that is what we do, don’t let that influence you too much, hunting and shooting is not one of those things you can learn from a book.

What you do, is buy the best bullet you can find, and by this I mean a Barnes, A-frame or Partition.
    Why, because you know it WILL work, you know the cost is nothing in relation to the thing you are shooting, you know you don’t shoot a million things like T-stone.
    Most importantly that aspect then falls away, you(and your PH) don’t have to worry about that in the field and can concentrate solely on shot placement.

As you grow into hunting and become more seasoned, then you won’t have to debate things like these, because trial and error would have formed an opinion for you. But then personal skill level will allow you to chose your own combo.

Until then, buy once, cry less.

User

You chaps are overthinking this.

A 308 is not the ideal caliber for any hunting or shooting situation so this in depth analysis of the correct bullet weight is pretty meaningless.
    Whether you are hunting varmints,springbuck,kudu or eland,whether you are doing long range or bench rest stuff,plinking or bushveld shooting,there is a better caliber choice.

What the 308 excells in is versatility. It can be made to work for all the mentioned scenarios.It is probably the easiest caliber to load for.It's accuracy is well known and,as far as hunting is concerned,it is one caliber that will give good performance with any bullet between 150 and 180gr.

It is true that most 308 users in the EC use 150gr bullets,as stated by SBB,and it works.

You do not need mono's for a 308,the velocities one achieves with conventional bullets will work well on all plains game without bullet failure associated with high velocity.

If i did most of my hunting in the bushveld,i would use 180gr Sierra GK HP.
    If i did most of my hunting in the EC,i would use a 165/168gr bullet with the same sierra being a good choice.

Nashtims...3006...reloading...180gr Sierra Game Kings [hollow point version]
    ....243...bonded bullet 90-100gr.
    So...you will still basically be doing what has worked for you in the past.Congrats and welcome to the reloading world.

User

Posted then read Messor's post no.31 which basically recommends the opposite of what i did.

The funny thing is..he is also of course correct.

308...difficult to make the wrong decision.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Tstone, am I correct in stating that the animals you shoot are not all for your own consumption, but for staff rations and to cull sick, wounded or old animals? Then using conventional bullets becomes an economically sound decision.
    Most of the animals I shoot are for a predator breeding project. Meat damage is not an issue.

You do not need to use an expanding monolithic bullet to hunt effectively but it has advantages.

You can take shots through thick bone and from oblique angles, this is more important on the larger antelope than on springbok or impala sized animals. When hunting with my 6.5x55 loaded with cup and core bullets, I often have to pass on shots I could safely have taken with my .300WM loaded with monolithic bullets. This is also an important factor when following wounded game, in this situation you rarely get to choose your shot.

Meat damage is less (unless you hit really thick bone).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Ok, so if you are a beginner, and worry about this or that, then listen up, and someone can sticky this for future use. We debate a lot of things here, because that is what we do, don’t let that influence you too much, hunting and shooting is not one of those things you can learn from a book.

What you do, is buy the best bullet you can find, and by this I mean a Barnes, A-frame or Partition.
    Why, because you know it WILL work, you know the cost is nothing in relation to the thing you are shooting, you know you don’t shoot a million things like T-stone.
    Most importantly that aspect then falls away, you(and your PH) don’t have to worry about that in the field and can concentrate solely on shot placement.

As you grow into hunting and become more seasoned, then you won’t have to debate things like these, because trial and error would have formed an opinion for you. But then personal skill level will allow you to chose your own combo.

Until then, buy once, cry less.
    Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    You chaps are overthinking this.

A 308 is not the ideal caliber for any hunting or shooting situation so this in depth analysis of the correct bullet weight is pretty meaningless.
    Whether you are hunting varmints,springbuck,kudu or eland,whether you are doing long range or bench rest stuff,plinking or bushveld shooting,there is a better caliber choice.

What the 308 excells in is versatility. It can be made to work for all the mentioned scenarios.It is probably the easiest caliber to load for.It's accuracy is well known and,as far as hunting is concerned,it is one caliber that will give good performance with any bullet between 150 and 180gr.

It is true that most 308 users in the EC use 150gr bullets,as stated by SBB,and it works.

You do not need mono's for a 308,the velocities one achieves with conventional bullets will work well on all plains game without bullet failure associated with high velocity.

If i did most of my hunting in the bushveld,i would use 180gr Sierra GK HP.
    If i did most of my hunting in the EC,i would use a 165/168gr bullet with the same sierra being a good choice.

Nashtims...3006...reloading...180gr Sierra Game Kings [hollow point version]
    ....243...bonded bullet 90-100gr.
    So...you will still basically be doing what has worked for you in the past.Congrats and welcome to the reloading world.
    This advice probably confused the OP, as they are complete opposites
    I still think one can't go wrong with the 180gr cup and core, but then the OP is asking about 150gr, and that comes with speed..

User

Daniel...These 2 posts say the opposite yet arrive at the same conclusion.

Messor addresses the question of bullet choice by recommending a premium bullet...it will work...yes...period.

Myself and SBB said that the most common 308 bullet weight used in the EC is 150gr....true...But i did also say that i prefer the 165/168gr bullets.

Running a 308 150gr conventional cup and core bullet at 2800fps is really past the upper end of speed for reliable terminal performance.
    Go premium or go heavier....and that is what we both agree on.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    This advice probably confused the OP, as they are complete opposites
    I still think one can't go wrong with the 180gr cup and core, but then the OP is asking about 150gr, and that comes with speed..
    There are many variables in hunting. This is one of the main reasons while two very experienced hunters, on this forum, offer the opposite advice and why beginners are confused. This is nothing new either, read the books on elephant hunting by Karamojo Bell and Pondoro Taylor, they didn't agree either. Yet, they were both true professional elephant hunters.

First, learn to shoot really well from practical hunting positions, then worry about bullets. And, anatomy of the animals you hunt, study that. An hour in a skinning shed, getting your hands full of blood will teach you more about cleanly killing animals, than hours on the internet.

User

Daniel

Remember one thing, I did not recommend my own preference.

People build their own preferences over time. I merely stated what would work for a newcomer.

The goal of course is not to be a newcomer, but that simply cannot be. You know as well as I do that my premium brand of bullets is Sierra, which doesnt make any.

Newcomers must FORGET the words of the seasoned guys here, like Tstone, 64 and sbb. Focus on the message they try to give, these messages are often(mostly) lost on newcomers.

You will often find these folk understand the posts of each other, their experience not the choice of words guides them.

Take notice of what they all say, one master have good teachings, several masters makes for more complete teachings.

User

Baie goeie punt Messor , beginners moet note vat van die

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4