Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Quote Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
    Did you try them? I have loaded 150 gr TTSX in 3 1:10" barrels and 1 1:11" barrel and they all shot well. I found them to shoot better than the 130gr TSX's in 2 different .308's.
    My 308 has a 1 in 12 twist so didn't try.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Default Re: The 308 and 150gr bullets

Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    Interesting, thanks.
    Apart from shooting flatter, will these monos offer any other advantage over the 180gr heavies? Not really convinced about lead free, anything else?
    Tstone has only mentioned 2 "bullet failures" in 400 shots. Specifically Barnes that I have retrieved look the same as shown in pictures and consistency is the name of the game. A 150 TSX penetrates further than a 180 conventional or bonded bullet and the sharp edges of the petals assure a big wound channel. They also very seldom leave petals in the meat, saving your teeth.

User

Quote Originally Posted by H.MINNAAR View Post
    Interesting, thanks.
    Apart from shooting flatter, will these monos offer any other advantage over the 180gr heavies? Not really convinced about lead free, anything else?
    If you read TStone's statement carefully I.O.W 400 animals and a 99.5% success rate then I think you are beyond convincing or do not want to change your mindset.

Banned

Another aspect with monos is the blodshot meat that is less. Save one kilo of meat = R30. That is nearly double the price of a single mono bullet.

User

Default The 308 and 150gr bullets

OP are you a new hunter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dale SH View Post
    If you read TStone's statement carefully I.O.W 400 animals and a 99.5% success rate then I think you are beyond convincing or do not want to change your mindset.
    Not at all, Tstone is an incredible hunter and could probably achieve similar with other bullets too. If I recall he doesn't exclusively use monos.
    Quote Originally Posted by karoo.vellies View Post
    OP are you a new hunter?
    Not new, but never shot anything other than 180gr standards.

User

Only reason I asked is because I am relatively new, 5th hunting season this year and this whole "what bullet, what bullet weight, mono vs cup and core" gave me sleepless nights.

Thought you are maybe going through the same torture.

User

If I recall he doesn't exclusively use monos.
    Mainly because he can't afford to :)

Quote Originally Posted by karoo.vellies View Post
    Only reason I asked is because I am relatively new, 5th hunting season this year and this whole "what bullet, what bullet weight, mono vs cup and core" gave me sleepless nights.

Thought you are maybe going through the same torture.

Me too, also in my fifth season this year and I must tell you I’m just a sponge at this stage. The last two years I developed a liking for 180gr Federals in my 30.06 and 95 grainers in my 243, which really boosted my confidence. But this year, oh boy this year, I’m entering the unchartered waters of hand-loading. I’m still in the process of setting up my work station (some brass has already been cleaned and ready mind you AND all bench equipment has been purchased) but the finer technical aspects of which powder and bullet size ???? - the more research I do here the more confusing the old brain becomes. At one point I thought that I had decided on 165gr Hornady’s but then...... I start reading some more and KABOOM. So when guys who unknowingly but by their bush knowledge, I personally have used to guide my hunting fortunes, guys like Messor and Pre 64 (comment please) start making statements contrary to what I had in mind I’m forced to go back to the drawing board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

Tstone, am I correct in stating that the animals you shoot are not all for your own consumption, but for staff rations and to cull sick, wounded or old animals? Then using conventional bullets becomes an economically sound decision.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast