Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Hunting/processing a Giraffe: suggestions/tips ?

The saying “ those who fail to plan plan to fail” comes up when thinking of hunting giraffe. The hunt itself is the easy part, slaughtering the beast, especially if its everyones first attempt, well thats a different story. You got some good advice and should be fine. Just know its a mammoth task but enjoy.

Banned

Another general tip: cover the meat in (olive) oil once it is in the cold room. I usually mix oil and sweet wine. The mixture prevents the outer layer of meat to dry out.

DO NOT COOK GIRAFFE IN A STEW. It is terrible to eat. Make wors, biltong, steaks, mince etc but just do not cook it.

Giraffe meat can be frozen for very long.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Another general tip: cover the meat in (olive) oil once it is in the cold room. I usually mix oil and sweet wine. The mixture prevents the outer layer of meat to dry out.

DO NOT COOK GIRAFFE IN A STEW. It is terrible to eat. Make wors, biltong, steaks, mince etc but just do not cook it.

Giraffe meat can be frozen for very long.
    Ds. J thank you kindly, this tip is something I was searching for a long time..to prevent the outer layer of meat to get tough and cause me extra time and effort to remove it .....this really was a problem I did not know to fix...I will use your mix a lot in the future..

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    In terms of knives and sharpening.

Buy a bunch of general carpet knives and blades, change blades quick and easy as you go. This works good on the skin, and you wont cry if the skinners break or take 1 or 2.

Cheap tarp, go to the local Co-Op and buy kuilvoer plastiek. Rolls come in 6 and 8m wide.

The one girafe I helped with we had a 4m 2 ton trailer lined with plactic. Carcass was cut on the spot, and pieces onto trailer. Had a generator with electric reciprocating saw.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I myself have a utility knife with the hooked blades for cutting carpets. The blade I still have in it has done many animals and is still sharp. Skinners all want to use it as a cut is so easily started down the legs. Very good suggestion Carl. The only hassle is that the hooked blades are sometimes hard to find.

Ds J, do you use this on all your carcasses even if cooking (i.e. steaks etc) as opposed to wors, biltong? What's the idea of the wine - flavour?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Ds J, do you use this on all your carcasses even if cooking (i.e. steaks etc) as opposed to wors, biltong? What's the idea of the wine - flavour?
    I prefer to transport and hang any carcass in the skin, then I spray or paint the oil onto the insides to prevent the crust forming. When the carcass has been skinned directly I cover all the meat with oil as soon as it hangs in the cold room. In general, venison does well with fruity tastes, spices and wine. We have found hat wine mixed with olive oil ripens the meat. That is why I add the wine from the start.

I prefer to transport and hang any carcass in the skin, then I spray or paint the oil onto the insides to prevent the crust forming. When the carcass has been skinned directly I cover all the meat with oil as soon as it hangs in the cold room. In general, venison does well with fruity tastes, spices and wine. We have found hat wine mixed with olive oil ripens the meat. That is why I add the wine from the start.
    Thanks DsJ, I'll give this a bash this year.

User

Very interesting thread.. I know it is quite a mission to slaughter such a big animal but never thought of it in as much detail. For future reference, I will definitely first check with the capabilities of the hunting farm in question if I ever decide on hunting giraffe. Although I would ideally like to taste giraffe meat first before I invest in such an expensive hunt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Virgildonatifan View Post
    Very interesting thread.. I know it is quite a mission to slaughter such a big animal but never thought of it in as much detail. For future reference, I will definitely first check with the capabilities of the hunting farm in question if I ever decide on hunting giraffe. Although I would ideally like to taste giraffe meat first before I invest in such an expensive hunt.
    Giraffe is an antelope. The meat is good but not for everyone - people scoff at the idea of eating giraffe. The biltong is really good too.

We had a regular laugh at school. My mom made delicious pastries for functions. A friend of her usually waited until only a few were left and then asked aloud across the room whether that was giraffe. The last few pastries went untouched.

User

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast