Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: What happened here?

My father once shot a blesbok in the neck cavity while the buck was standing broadside unaware of us about 200m away. He took the shot with his 308 with what I believe was a 150gr PMP proAmm factory load, the buck went down. Upon inspection we noticed there was a large hole on the top of the neck and a small entry hole on the side.

The bullet struck the spine and somehow managed to ricochet at a 90° angle straight up and out the top of the neck. Funny thing to have seen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    This shot taken at about 150m off the bipod with my 7x64 and 150TSX. I cannot to this day explain the large hole, except if it was bone fragments from the shoulder. Animal fell straight down - bang flop as the Yanks name it.

Animal was looking straight at me.
    Bone fragments and/or bullet breaking up on neck vertebrae.

I had a similar experience shooting a large kudu cow facing front-on in the throat. Huge wound and animal bang-flopped. Bullet was a 140gr Accubond launched at 2740f/s. Shot was approx 120m

User

TStone, the only explanation I could find is that it is a piece of rib that pierced the skin from the inside. While attacks happen, it doesn't make sense to me that a horn would make a hole right next to the bullet hole in the tough skin. It just doesn't.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    TStone, the only explanation I could find is that it is a piece of rib that pierced the skin from the inside. While attacks happen, it doesn't make sense to me that a horn would make a hole right next to the bullet hole in the tough skin. It just doesn't.
    Bone fragments can cause damage, including gaping holes in the skin, but in my experience this is normally where the bone are very close to the skin. In this case the bullet penetrated at least 12 cm of muscle before it hit a rib. So, a splinter of bone would have had to travel 12 cm plus back in the direction the bullet arrived from before hitting the skin.

Anyway, I was just making a guess based on what I saw, I could very well be wrong.

Is there a possibility of the mono losing one of (or part of) its petals before hitting the target?

User

Quote Originally Posted by flincher View Post
    Is there a possibility of the mono losing one of (or part of) its petals before hitting the target?
    I'd say no. But, for arguments sake, let's say it did. What would the entry wound look like?

What we have here are two skin deep holes of virtually identical size, both much larger than bullet diameter. In one of these, skin deep, holes is a caliber sized wound that is perfectly round and then ends up as a tunnel that is ± 2x caliber size. In other words a wound channel exactly like that caused by a normally expanding premium bullet.

User

I'm going with your theory that the other animals horned it and tried to chase it out of the herd.
    I have seen this happen more than once when a wounded Gemsbok tried to make it's way back into the herd.

User

T...If an animal turns it's neck to one side,as in looking back over it's shoulder,then the skin on the outside of the neck pulls tight but the skin on the inside of the neck forms up in a series of folds.
    Imagine these loose folds of skin on a Blue or have a squizzie at pictures of a Blue with it,s head turned and the skin forms folds almost like waves coming onto a beach......[Oh hell,you are from the free state....imagine a windy day at the dam ].

Now if the Blue was quartering towards you and slightly lower, is it not possible that it was looking away from you when you shot? It is then quite feasible that the bullet entry went through the top of a skin fold [cutting the skin] and then entering the neck proper. Even in a dead straight line with no bullet deflection at all this would account for the 2 holes in close proximity.....Bullet entered on inside of neck on the loose skin side.

Banned

Can it be a split second movement of the wildebeest before final impact of the bullet?

User

I quite like pre64's postulation above....

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast