Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Handgun for SD

User

Default Re: Handgun for SD

If the OP has some physical impairment that makes certain guns unusable, I trust the OP to figure out for himself that he is an outlier and not buy a gun he cannot shoot, or even better to mention it in his post...

Banned

Glock 19 or CZ P10C

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ωhm View Post
    Sure, function, reliability and support are important, but it doesn't end there. We have no idea of the OP's circumstances a, shape, size, mobility and physical limitations or impairments.

It may be crucial or make no difference. I would rather be flexible and take these things into consideration than dictate to some random person on the internet what they should or shouldn't buy based on my criteria.
    The shape, circumstances, health, physical and mental stability has no bearing on what makes a gun good or bad. Aside from what is "correct" for an individual you have not clarified what makes a gun correct or incorrect.

Choosing a SD gun (and that is a serious choice) on such vague criteria as "it is right for me" is just a stupid as "it suits my lifestyle as a vegan, bisexual, cactus expert" or "it goes well with the cufflinks grandpa made out of the thing that grew out of uncle Charlie's ear that was removed by the doctors in Cape town"

One's choice of SD gun should be based on what works, has a track record and keeps working and is concealable. Lifestyle, sexual orientation and physical appearance should only be considered when buying clothes, not SD guns.

There are far too many people who buy guns based on "It felt so good when I held it" and then they end up buying a piece of shit. Early in Jan I was standing in a well known (to me at least) gun shop in PTA when I had to endure watching two dudes waxing lyrical over the one guy's new SD gun he just bought because it felt so much better than a Glock. It was some or other striker fired compact Taurus... Unfortunately for me I have seen two of those exact guns in action in a few competitions... They don't work. But hey at least it felt good in the hand on the day it was bought.

And for what its worth I know some really f_____ng ugly people, a few gay / lesbian people, a guy that has only one eye, one who cannot use his one arm and another guy in a wheelchair that bought their SD guns NOT based on how it feels or suits their circumstances, but based on the criteria I mentioned earlier. Their guns work.

User

For what it's worth I'm f____ng sexy bought a f____ny ugly Gun, have terrible eye sight and based my SD purchase on support and reliability.The fact that I'm polyamourous have gay friends with guns had little to do with it.Our guns work because we service them know how to buy spare parts and understand the importance of training and good SD ammo.There are bad choices for SD firearms And I believe you are both trying to stop the OP from making a poor choice... This is a good thing...I miss the days of the only logical choices being a G19 or a PO7 in SA
    Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    And for what its worth I know some really f_____ng ugly people, a few gay / lesbian people, a guy that has only one eye, one who cannot use his one arm and another guy in a wheelchair that bought their SD guns NOT based on how it feels or suits their circumstances, but based on the criteria I mentioned earlier. Their guns work.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpglock View Post
    Glock 19 or CZ P10C
    Or M&P 2.0 Compact (when they arrive, which I was told was soon).

The shape, circumstances, health, physical and mental stability has no bearing on what makes a gun good or bad. Aside from what is "correct" for an individual you have not clarified what makes a gun correct or incorrect.

Choosing a SD gun (and that is a serious choice) on such vague criteria as "it is right for me" is just a stupid as "it suits my lifestyle as a vegan, bisexual, cactus expert" or "it goes well with the cufflinks grandpa made out of the thing that grew out of uncle Charlie's ear that was removed by the doctors in Cape town"

One's choice of SD gun should be based on what works, has a track record and keeps working and is concealable. Lifestyle, sexual orientation and physical appearance should only be considered when buying clothes, not SD guns.

There are far too many people who buy guns based on "It felt so good when I held it" and then they end up buying a piece of shit. Early in Jan I was standing in a well known (to me at least) gun shop in PTA when I had to endure watching two dudes waxing lyrical over the one guy's new SD gun he just bought because it felt so much better than a Glock. It was some or other striker fired compact Taurus... Unfortunately for me I have seen two of those exact guns in action in a few competitions... They don't work. But hey at least it felt good in the hand on the day it was bought.

Yes, you are correct that shape, circumstances, health, physical and mental stability has no bearing on what makes a gun good or bad. No one claimed that it did. What makes a firearm suitable or not for an individual is going to vary from person to person.

Consider the following examples:
    - Someone working in an office environment who has to wear a suit and tie may need a smaller, more concealable FA than someone who can carry an SP-01 OWB under a hoodie in a less formal workplace
    - A person with arthritic or damaged wrists may struggle with the grip angle of something like a Glock, but not with a P250
    - A petite female with small hands might be able to get a good grip on a G43, but struggles to handle a Beretta 92
    - etc

We all have different requirements of a SD firearm, which should ideally be met by what and how we carry it (if at all). No amount of bitching and moaning about people being special snowflakes will make their needs and choices any less valid. Even if someone makes a less than ideal purchase, at least they have a firearm to try defend themselves should they need to.

User

Yes, you are correct that shape, circumstances, health, physical and mental stability has no bearing on what makes a gun good or bad. No one claimed that it did. What makes a firearm suitable or not for an individual is going to vary from person to person.

- Someone working in an office environment who has to wear a suit and tie may need a smaller, more concealable FA than someone who can carry an SP-01 OWB under a hoodie in a less formal workplace
    - A person with arthritic or damaged wrists may struggle with the grip angle of something like a Glock, but not with a P250
    - A petite female with small hands might be able to get a good grip on a G43, but struggles to handle a Beretta 92
    - etc

We all have different requirements of a SD firearm, which should ideally be met by what and how we carry it (if at all). No amount of bitching and moaning about people being special snowflakes will make their needs and choices any less valid. Even if someone makes a less than ideal purchase, at least they have a firearm to try defend themselves should they need to.
    Read post 22 again. You just expanded a bit on what has already been stated. Maybe you are not reading the post correctly..

User

- etc

SP01 would not make for a brilliant EDC weapon if you understand that EDC happens Every flippen Day!

Small hands and grip angels are nonsense!

Sent from my SpaceCraft using MindControl!

User

I've taken countless people through the 'Handle and Use a Handgun' unit standard practical assessment - one thing I do to make the assessment fair and valid is to ensure the shooter (most often a beginner) is comfortable with the gun, and I've said countless times 'If it's not working for you [grip; sight picture], we'll find a gun that does work for you', and we've tried different models etc.

So yes, there is some truth to 'is it right for me' - if we (as a community) co-erced/ forced new shooters with the mentality of 'it's a great gun, so the problem is with you, so just shoot it and get done with it' we'd have people buying guns and then resenting the thing and never taking it out the safe.

Luckily, we're not all built the same, and we don't make purchasing decisions in the same way - if you're a 'I wear clothes to keep warm, and wear a watch to tell time, and drive a car to get from A to B' kind of guy, then great. For me, a reliable brand and good reputation is important, as is aesthetics.

However, if I was in the dwang, and you offered me a rock or a Glock, I'd take the Glock [though the rock is better looking] cos a Glock will shoot every time! It's a super gun, bit it's just not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    I've taken countless people through the 'Handle and Use a Handgun' unit standard practical assessment - one thing I do to make the assessment fair and valid is to ensure the shooter (most often a beginner) is comfortable with the gun, and I've said countless times 'If it's not working for you [grip; sight picture], we'll find a gun that does work for you', and we've tried different models etc.

So yes, there is some truth to 'is it right for me' - if we (as a community) co-erced/ forced new shooters with the mentality of 'it's a great gun, so the problem is with you, so just shoot it and get done with it' we'd have people buying guns and then resenting the thing and never taking it out the safe.

Luckily, we're not all built the same, and we don't make purchasing decisions in the same way - if you're a 'I wear clothes to keep warm, and wear a watch to tell time, and drive a car to get from A to B' kind of guy, then great. For me, a reliable brand and good reputation is important, as is aesthetics.

However, if I was in the dwang, and you offered me a rock or a Glock, I'd take the Glock [though the rock is better looking] cos a Glock will shoot every time! It's a super gun, bit it's just not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

I bought a Glock, not because I liked it more than brand X.. I didn’t shoot any different brands to see what I liked or how they feel..
    I bought it because you can trust it, it is simple to use, nothing about forgetting to flip the safety. Mags are not expensive compared to other great brands. After sales seems to be above from other people’s experiences. It doesn’t have a hammer and would thus be easier to carry AIWB.

Before I bought the pistol I did my research, and I was saving for a Beretta 92fs..good pistol! Would it have been a wise choice? No...

After a lot of thought about other pistols, I decided to go with the brand which I can find the best reviews on for a trusty EDC weapon.. as that is what the pistol is for.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast