Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default The risks of going into the bush

Hi all - So I refer to the thread about the horrific farm attacks that take place on a daily basis, and my question is how safe are we when going on holiday and catching a weekend away, specifically occupying accommodation in tents, cottages, chalets etc... on properties out in the bush / nature?

Are we at huge risk, just as farmers and as people living on small holdings - is there a connection towards possible attacks?

User

Default Re: The risks of going into the bush

Nowhere is safe. Period.

Depends upon where you are. Some places are safer than others – some are actually pretty safe – but there is never a cast-iron guarantee that trouble will not come your way.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Nowhere is safe. Period.
    +1. When my wife and I went to the bush (not the Kruger) to stay in a tented camp, I edc'd as I would at home.

User

we just got back from mozam, and what you realise is that south africa has a serious violent culture, be it demogrpahics, culture or our past something is befok in this land.

this is the first year i booked my firearm in at a gunshop near the border as i didnt want to drive KZN unarmed.

now its back to business as usual, eat, watch tv and poop armed

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Depends upon where you are. Some places are safer than others – some are actually pretty safe – but there is never a cast-iron guarantee that trouble will not come your way.
    Oh completely true, but nowhere is it really "safe". I remember a few times camping at various places where I was VERY glad I have my gun with me - even if it means awkward swimming arrangements and difficulty with normal camping activities.

User

I regularly go dive at Barra they are also the only days I Don't carry as in S.A. I even bag and dive with my firearm, I have noticed I sometimes feel safer in Moz without then in JHB CBD with.
    Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    we just got back from mozam, and what you realise is that south africa has a serious violent culture, be it demogrpahics, culture or our past something is befok in this land.this is the first year i booked my firearm in at a gunshop near the border as i didnt want to drive KZN unarmed.now its back to business as usual, eat, watch tv and poop armed

As mentioned some places are better than others.
    I camp quite a lot, mostly for fishing. Some places feel safe (family friendly places mostly), others not so.
    I have in the past decided not to stay over and go home when the sun goes down

User

end of the day some places are safer than others until they are not

sodwana used to be awesome, isnt anymore, neither is st lucia and mapelane

carry, be it in church, the jungle, or mcdonalds.

Nowhere is safe in this country yet when we go to the bushveld most of us sort of "forget" to be as cautious as what we usually are when we at home. I recall many occasions sleeping with doors unlocked and keys in the ignition over night while at a game farm thinking "It's safer here than in the city".

On another note while hunting up in Bela Bela last year, I sat with my 8 year old cousin in a hide for him to shoot his first animal. After he shot his impala we called the PH to come and collect us and the animal. We then left a few of our items in the hide as we knew we would come back later on in the day to collect the stuff. Upon that he told us that we should rather take our items out and take them back to camp as they caught poachers in the farm 2 weeks before.

So yes carry carry carry.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast