There are no guarantees. Nowhere.

User

Default Re: The risks of going into the bush

Quote Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
    There are no guarantees. Nowhere.
    This.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    Hi all - So I refer to the thread about the horrific farm attacks that take place on a daily basis, and my question is how safe are we when going on holiday and catching a weekend away, specifically occupying accommodation in tents, cottages, chalets etc... on properties out in the bush / nature?Are we at huge risk, just as farmers and as people living on small holdings - is there a connection towards possible attacks?
    TIA. New South Africa. African Renaissance. Jungle justice. Crime of opportunity. Organized syndicates. Gangstas. Disillusioned youth. Poor desperados. Drug addicts.Call it what you like. You are fair game because you have something. Just don't think "in case or if it happens to me". Rather think "when it happens to me" - as said above: you are not safe anywhere.

User

There are very few hunting farms where you are 100% safe. And do not for any reason assume the presence of hunting rifles will prevent attacks.

In any event forget the end destination. The road there and getting back home you should follow normal EDC rules. I carry even when out hunting as in walking in the bush.

User

Thanks for all the replies - very useful info provided. My wife and I would like to start exploring more, and try to enjoy more of an outdoor lifestyle.

I suppose the reality is that nowhere is safe anymore, and one needs to be prepared all the time - sucks big time as one would like to enjoy the outdoors, forget about everything, relax and just absorb nature - but now we have to keep our head on a swivel and apply safety precautions all the time...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MK1 View Post
    I suppose the reality is that nowhere is safe anymore, and one needs to be prepared all the time - sucks big time as one would like to enjoy the outdoors, forget about everything, relax and just absorb nature - but now we have to keep our head on a swivel and apply safety precautions all the time...
    Grandpa always said that we live amongst criminals like our ancestors lives amongst the lions. Be careful and be aware. Enjoy life. Few places live as good as Africa.

User

South Africa is one hell of a big place, people are often limited in their views on what is safe and what not.

Just take a car and drive down to CT from JHB, once you are beyond Bloem the lack of anything will disturb some people. Many people think SA is highly populated, actually the metropolitans are highly populated, the rest is barren as hell.

I spend more time camping than most, all over the show (obviously not up north), and I will tell you it’s the safest you’ll ever be. Nowhere is safe is not a correct statement, nowhere in Gauteng is safe I will agree. I will take you to a million places in SA where the visitors are the most dangerous thing there.

It might be hard for some people to believe, unless you physically show them, but if you want to spend quality time in the veld then try to get away further. I am almost sure I will not be able to relax if I had to camp somewhere up north. Where I camp, fish and hunt now, there are no humans, nothing to fear but fear itself. If I did not have the opportunity to do that my life would be very less meaningful personally.

Yes Messor. But most people camp in commercial campsites, which quite often are also a form of bait for the criminally minded. And in fairness, people have been murdered in some pretty remote settings.

You are more fortunate than most.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

It is true that, the more remote, the safer you might be, but still no guarantees.

We love remote places, and we feel very safe there (safer than in the city) but we still remain vigilant and armed.

Jan Joubert was murdered in the remote Omaheke region in Namibia, an out of the way place he visited often and must have felt very safe in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast