User

Default Printout on approval - yes again - what's the latest

No I dont have any cards waiting to be printed out, I have just heard of a of a few people lately (not locally) that have collected firearms with just a printout. I know one of them personally. What is the latest? Are we seeing a return to no more waiting for cards?

User

Default Re: Printout on approval - yes again - what's the latest

A few Dealers will accept a printout to release the firearm, but they take the risk.
    BUT, getting a printout from the DFO can be difficult as they know why you want it, and are therefore reluctant to print one
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter View Post
    No I dont have any cards waiting to be printed out, I have just heard of a of a few people lately (not locally) that have collected firearms with just a printout. I know one of them personally. What is the latest? Are we seeing a return to no more waiting for cards?
    Which DFO and gunshop? I have not heard of any DFOs or gunshops in my province wanting to do it. In fact, the local DFO has specifically stated that gunshops in his area are not allowed to release a firearm on a printout alone. Interestingly enough they do it for a s21 - go figure since practically speaking it can be forged just as easily as a printout if that was the concern.

In practise, it should be easy for a gunshop to verify the license with the DFO and release it on a printout. Just another BS excuse to inconveniance law abiding firearm owners.

User

I know of a shop where the DFO and higher-ups did an inspection and wanted to charge him for having guns which were not in his dealer stock - they were purchased guns that had been licenced that week (or the week prior) and he was waiting for owners to produce cards so he could release the guns - he then resolved to release weapons to owners on presentation of a printout after this altercation with SAPS - ask yourself, what will they charge you for - unlawful possession of your own gun?? One call to CFR confirms you're the licenced owner...

Only seen this in cases where you apply to receive license quicker. Think on 518 form.
    If you can proof why you need it quickly. Instead of waiting for 271 to be done.
    In these cases you hand in 518 and 271 at same time. 518 just gets sent to CFR quicker and handled immediately.
    Then DFO just prints from screen. But some DFO's might not even want to take 518's.
    But this again depends on them.