Nice, what set up are you using?

User

Default Re: Feb 2018 - Feral Pigs

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

User

Default Re: Feb 2018 - Feral Pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Trayton View Post
    Nice, what set up are you using?
    I used my trusty Sako 7mm RM, Hawke 6-24x50 Endurance scope, with a NiteSite NS200 on top. I bought the video recording module for my NiteSite. PMP 170g bullets at a moderate 2800fps delivers the pigs to piggy heaven. That was the shooting rig.

In my hand I have a Pulsar Quantum LD50s thermal spotter. That's the secrete. Can see animals (warm blooded) up to 1km away. I spotted both these pigs well before the got to me.

In a nut shell what happened...

I saw a small sounder of 5-6 pigs making their way down the mountain. They were on a path that gets allot of traffic, so I knew which direction they were heading. I positioned myself just off the path and kept watching them with the thermal (which sees allot better then any regular IR based NV).

The pig in the video was the first pig to get to me. He realized something was up but it was to late. After the shot, I wanted to field dress him but forgot my knife in the bakkie. So I collected my knife and headed back to the pig about 15 min later. When I got close to him, I saw the larger boar make he's way down on the same path. I knew this boar, seen him before and knew he was operating in the area. On previous sightings I could not get a clear shot before he moved into the neighbouring farm, where I don't know the land owner. I kept my eye on the boar with the thermal spotter and got into position.

So, I basically laid in the prone position on top of the dead pig and waited. I don't have a video of that shot, things happened quickly.

I shot the larger boar a bit far back, behind he's shoulder with him facing in my direction slightly turned towards my right. I knew it was a solid hit, but was surprised to see him spin around once and take off. Luckily there was enough open field between him and the mountains (very thick bush). I found him 300m from where I shot him, 50m short of bush. I was lucky...

Bullet broke 2 ribs, went through the middel of he's right lung and continued through he's abdominal area to stop in he's groin area. Bullet preformed well, still very much intact and well mushroomed.

One's equipement does take some abuse when walking around so much at night. I walked over 8km that evening, thick bush, over a few fences and a bit of rain. Feel sorry for my Sako :D

Will switch to my Israeli Mauser using 168g PMPs at 2600fps soon, and hopefully a semi auto AR10 soon after that.

Anyway, that's the long and short of it. Any thermal optics is a game changer when it comes to these pigs.